Monday, April 13, 2009

Update at 10PM


PINK TOES!!!! PINK TOES!!!! Wow...what a great thing to see! There is a little bruise on Kate's big toe, but her toenails are PINK, PINK, PINK! We are praising God to see those cute little toes looking so healthy!

She is off the ventilator!!! Woohoo! That means that she was able to have her breathing tube removed. She was quite unhappy about having it down her throat, so it was a relief when they finally felt she could have it removed around 9PM.

She is such a fighter! She was arching her back and trying to pull out the tube. The last hour before it was removed, Jeff and I had to stand on each side of the bed and hold her hands so she couldn't pull it out.

She had a bit of trouble with bleeding from one of her tubes and from her central line after she got restless. They were going to add a special blood product to thicken her blood, but ended up not needing it.

Her blood pressure is better now that the breathing tube is out. They told me that the first 24 hours after surgery, 'anything can happen,' so she isn't quite out of the woods. She is doing SO WELL, though!

Before they pulled the tube, she couldn't make a sound but when asked a question, she would shake her head yes or no. It was so pitiful and precious. After the tube came out, she could make sounds but of course, they are very soft. She sounds like a baby when she cries. The only thing she has said is, "Mama, Mama," which makes my heart turn over. She tries to tell me that she wants something but I can't quite make out what she's saying.

I'm pretty tired, so I'm heading to bed. They gave me a pager in case she takes a turn for the worse, so I could just run down the hall if necessary.

Thank you all for praying and for your encouraging emails and comments on the blog. I was able to read all of them today and although I haven't had a chance to write everyone back, please know, I LOVED reading them!! You have no idea how encouraging it is to log into my email and see your notes. THANK YOU!!!

Looking and feeling so much better now that the breathing tube is gone!