Wednesday, April 15, 2009

10:45PM Update - Wed.

Kate is pretty much the same. Her chest tubes are draining properly, so she didn't need a new one. Thank goodness!! They would have had to make another incision in her chest to stick it in.

Unfortunately, all her thrashing around caused her to lose one of her IV's (in her foot) and they have been unable to find a usable a vein anywhere else. She still has a central line in her neck and another IV in her hand, but she really needs that third one. She has eight medicines dripping and some of them cannot be mixed. Sooo...they are trying to come up with plan B. When I left tonight, they didn't have it quite figured out, but I'm sure they will think of something. They had an IV tech come up and try to put the IV in, but after rooting around in Kate's foot for awhile, she gave up. Poor Kate--she was not a happy camper. She talks (but with her eyes closed) and was yelling..."Go night, night! Go night, night!" She just wanted them to leave her alone so she could go back to sleep.

Her blood pressure went up for a little while today but was back down too low tonight. Around 9:30PM she went really low but rebounded a little bit when they gave her some more fluids. She is still dumping everything they put in. Dumping a lot of fluid is pretty normal after at fontan surgery, but they said she is dumping more than normal. One nurse said, 'Holy cow, this is freaking me out!' She's lucky I am a medical nerd or I would have freaked out from her saying that. haha Her chest tubes have been leaking yellow fluid all day and soaking her bed. They are having to change the bed quite frequently which she does NOT like. Poor angel.

Jeff's mom and sister arrived safely and Jeff and I are breathing a sigh of relief! Our older kids were doing an adequate job but not the kind a parent or grandparent would do. Tonight I called home and when Jeff picked up, I heard Zoey crying, 'Mama, Mama.' My heart turned over. She got on the phone and talked to me and calmed down right away. Jeff said she has been doing fine without her little buddy. She is a go-with-the-flow kind of girl.

Well, this is probably too much information, so I will get to bed. Snorer dude is loud again tonight. I guess he just didn't want to use those Breathe Right nasal strips I slipped under his door. JUST KIDDING!! I didn't really....