Wednesday, April 15, 2009

10:45PM Update - Wed.

Kate is pretty much the same. Her chest tubes are draining properly, so she didn't need a new one. Thank goodness!! They would have had to make another incision in her chest to stick it in.

Unfortunately, all her thrashing around caused her to lose one of her IV's (in her foot) and they have been unable to find a usable a vein anywhere else. She still has a central line in her neck and another IV in her hand, but she really needs that third one. She has eight medicines dripping and some of them cannot be mixed. Sooo...they are trying to come up with plan B. When I left tonight, they didn't have it quite figured out, but I'm sure they will think of something. They had an IV tech come up and try to put the IV in, but after rooting around in Kate's foot for awhile, she gave up. Poor Kate--she was not a happy camper. She talks (but with her eyes closed) and was yelling..."Go night, night! Go night, night!" She just wanted them to leave her alone so she could go back to sleep.

Her blood pressure went up for a little while today but was back down too low tonight. Around 9:30PM she went really low but rebounded a little bit when they gave her some more fluids. She is still dumping everything they put in. Dumping a lot of fluid is pretty normal after at fontan surgery, but they said she is dumping more than normal. One nurse said, 'Holy cow, this is freaking me out!' She's lucky I am a medical nerd or I would have freaked out from her saying that. haha Her chest tubes have been leaking yellow fluid all day and soaking her bed. They are having to change the bed quite frequently which she does NOT like. Poor angel.

Jeff's mom and sister arrived safely and Jeff and I are breathing a sigh of relief! Our older kids were doing an adequate job but not the kind a parent or grandparent would do. Tonight I called home and when Jeff picked up, I heard Zoey crying, 'Mama, Mama.' My heart turned over. She got on the phone and talked to me and calmed down right away. Jeff said she has been doing fine without her little buddy. She is a go-with-the-flow kind of girl.

Well, this is probably too much information, so I will get to bed. Snorer dude is loud again tonight. I guess he just didn't want to use those Breathe Right nasal strips I slipped under his door. JUST KIDDING!! I didn't really....

11 comments:

shell said...

ND checking in...thanks for keeping everyone on top of things. Prayers still coming your way.....
FROG....there is No other way!

Joyful Mom said...

Precious friend,
I am just catching up after not being on the computer for last last two days (Lord have mercy :) )!

Oh my, my heart aches when I see your precious little one lying with all those tubes and wires. I can only imagine how your heart must break. I bet you wish you could just 'fix' it all and get her out of there.

Know that you and Kate are covered in prayer. Praying for THE HEALER to breath healing into every part of her little body that needs a touch from Him.

Take care of yourself, get lots of rest.

Thinking of you and praying for you!

Tammy said...

Still praying for all of you...

Kimberlie said...

I am praying that Kate has a better night than she did last night and that those fluids will stay where they need to be in Jesus' name.

Karin, you are doing an amazing job of staying calm and focusing on the positive. I would be a mess in your place, but your faith is so inspiring.

Dear Jesus, hold your precious Kate in your arms tonight. Place your healing touch upon her body.

Tracy said...

Ohhh that poor little thing. She is so precious. And as her mom you know what the Drs. are doing is for her good, but its tough to watch and see her have to go through it. She is blessed to have a Momma like you. And Im sure that having you there by her side gives her such comfort. Im praying that the Lord will give you and Kate a good nights rest and that He will continue to heal her little body.

Mom Of Many said...

Kept having my Emma text for updates as we drove. Praying so desperately for a mighty move of God for your precious baby girl.

Love from Colorado Springs! xo

Lynsay said...

Hi Karin, We are praying and keeping track of your every update.

We love you guys, we are praying for strength and grace as you go through this.

I know you must be exhausted and I know that it is difficult to watch your precious baby go through this, and I'm so blessed to call you friends, you who knew this was coming and loved Kate enough to say "YES LORD!"

BTW, the girls saw the walls of the Forbidden City today and said "hey, we went there with Jeff and KARIN!!" (took them long enough don't ya think!)

Tammy said...

You remain in my prayers! May this be a big turning point today in her recovery! Praying for God's peace to overwhelm you & all the children at home, as well!

Lori said...

I'm praying that today you see leaps and bounds of progress.

Thanks for the updates! It really does help to know how to specifically pray.

Kim K. said...

I'm praying that Kate had a better night. I'll be anxious for morning updates. Please know that your family continues to be in our prayers.

Cari Bacon said...

Just wanted to let you know that I put Kate and your family on our church's prayer sheet last night. You must be so tired, but I appreciate your updates as I look for them throughout the day. Praying for Kate's body to be stronger today than each previous day.