Tuesday, April 14, 2009

7:15 PM update - Tue.

Kate is still about the same. It's delicate balance keeping her blood pressure up but not letting her get too active in bed. Whenever her sedation starts to wear off, she become 'an alligator' (the nurse described her that way). She rolls back and forth and grabs at her lines. At one point she grabbed her central line and had a death grip on it, trying to yank it out. argh. I was able to pry her fingers off before she did any damage. They decided to put boards on her hands to keep her from being able to grab anything. (That was Daddy's idea, actually.)

She is still having trouble with hanging on to any of her fluids. They have decided to put back 100% of everything she is draining out of her tubes. (She was previously on 50%.) They are 'chasing' her--meaning they are trying to catch up on her fluids. Her organs are stressed because they are not getting enough fluid. It is going into her vessels and then directly into her tissues, where it is drained out. She needs to keep some of that fluid in her vessels.

She stirred a bit and was talking a bit--although her eyes are mostly closed. She calls for "mama" and "Daddy." At one point, I leaned over and told her that many people were praying for her and she started saying her own prayer, 'Dear God," and then jibberish, fading off into nothing. It was beyond precious!

Due to her 'dumping' of fluids, as well as the morphine, she is so dry. The nurse has put vaseline on her lips, but this afternoon, she was opening her little mouth like a bird. I asked her if she was thirsty and she nodded slightly. I was able to let her suck water off a sponge. She was so cute!





Thank you so much for your prayers and words of encouragement!! It has become obvious that things can change in very short time in this unit, so she is not out of the woods, but is definitely getting great care. (And now I REALLY want to be a nurse--and they are letting me help, so I feel useful and am getting some on the job training!)

21 comments:

Kim K. said...

Please know that Kate will be in our continued prayers. Her restlessness reminds me of our struggles with Josie to keep her hands off her equipment when we were at Mott's. The staff is THE BEST. You are in great hands. I can't imagine our daughter's open-heart surgery being anywhere else. Keep the updates coming. I have a special place for heart children...especially those from China. Hugs!!!

Ann Marie said...

Hopping over from Linny's blog to let you know we are holding you in our prayers.

Hugs,

Ann Marie

Meredith said...

Karin you would be a great nurse! They should just give you the degree with all the stuff you've already done!!
Lots of prayers and love!

Shonni said...

We are praying for you all!!!

Lyn said...

Karin,
Please know that I am praying for Kate. Gayly told me about her as my son and I are in Boston getting ready for heart surgery tomorrow. She is precious. These China babies are just precious. I will continue to pray for Kate.
Love,
Lyn Thomas

Hewett Happenings said...

Praying for your precious Kate in Tahlequah, OK.

Tony and Rett said...

Peeking in from Linny and Dw's blog...just wanted you to know we're lifting you and Kate up tonight. (The rest of the fam too!)

Keep loving on that little girl! Praise Jesus she has a mommy (and thoughtful daddy) like you!!!

Hugs from Indiana!

sara said...

so glad she is slowly doing better. I will be specifically praying for her to hold on to the fluids.

sierrasmom said...

I'm checking in from over at Linny's blog. I will be praying for your sweet little Kate. I will keep checking in!!!
Hugs from,
Kathie in New York

Judi said...

Just wanted to say that prayers are being said for your little girl here in Ohio!

Waitingfaithfully said...

Visiting via Linny's blog to let you know we are praying for Kate here in San Antonio, Texas. (We are stationed here with the Air Force, but Michigan is Home Sweet Home!)

May God keep your precious Kate in His care, and bring His healing touch to her little heart.

Blessings ~

Tina
(Mama to five, including one very special China blessing!)

Chris said...

Came over from Linn's blog. Saw your Kate mentioned earlier, but didn't know where to look. Prayers for Kate, mom and the Dr's and nurses from Reinholds PA (deep in PA Dutch country)

Cari Bacon said...

Our family prayed for you, Kate, after family devotions tonight. Keep up the fight!

megnjaxmama said...

I wanted to let Kate know that we are praying for her from Nebraska!

Andolicious said...

Got here from Linn's blog. Praying for Kate in East TN!

Melody said...

I am praying for your sweet girl!!! ((Hugs))

Teach said...

I wanted to let you know that I read about your story on Linny's blog and I am praying for you up here in Canada! Be encouraged and blessed, God is watching over your family and especially your little girl!

Here's a verse that got me through my battle with cancer more then 10 years ago: Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Holly said...

We're sending prayers your way that Mommy, Daddy, and Kate get a good nights sleep! Hugs!

shell said...

I have been following your blog for quite sometime, and have been, and will continue to keep you and Kate in my prayers. Lots of love to you from North Dakota!

trustandobey said...

Hello,
I am a friend of Anne Devlin and she gave me your blog so i am following Kate's adventure. Ironically, my husband and i adopted a little girl from Guatemala last December. Her name is Kate too. When we got home, we found out she was in need of major surgery too. She spent 7 days at Duke Hospital in NC. She is out and doing fine now. Kate's photos remind me of the picyures we took while in the hospital. We will be praying for her. You are in the midst of the storm, but the Lord is holding your hand. Even if you are tempted to let go of your grip out of fear or worry or doubt or exhaustion, He will be faithful to hold tight:) This is the God we serve.
Lisa

Susan said...

Here is another family that will be praying for sweet precious Kate.