Thursday, April 16, 2009

7:15PM Update - Thur.

Kate's blood pressure is UP!! WOOHOO!!! It has been steadily rising today and tonight I was shocked to see the top number go into the 90's! :) YAY! They are doing a great job of keeping her pumped full of fluid so that her blood pressure can stay up. She has her own nurse who stays by the bed day and night because that is the only way they can keep up with the fluid dumping out of her chest tubes. Too bad she's unaware of the great service! :) (Wouldn't it just figure that the one time in your life that you can be waited on hand and foot, you're too sick to enjoy it?)

The fluid output is the main issue and that will most likely continue for awhile. One of the tubes just got clogged again with some blood clots, but thankfully, the nurse noticed and started working hard to fix it. It's a tedious process for them to 'strip' the tubes. She is still working on it right now because she hasn't been able to get it completely open. It the fluid output goes into Kate's chest instead of draining, it will compress her heart which can stop it.

I talked to a different doctor about how long Kate will have to stay. She said that no one knows. So maybe the seven weeks comment was a guess. This doctor said it could be two weeks, it could be 10 weeks. Since we don't know, we'll just have to wait and pray!

I'm so sorry if I am repeating myself in some of these posts. It's hard to remember what I've already said.

Little Katie-bug looks the same as she did yesterday so I haven't taken too many pictures. She is getting some visitors in a little while, so maybe I will post some pics later.

THANK YOU for your prayers and emails of encouragement!!! I have my laptop by her bed with wireless Internet, so I can sit and read while she sleeps.

9 comments:

Kim K. said...

Talk about awesome care. I'm so happy to read that you have a nurse in PICU completely devoted to Kate. I'm praying that her blood pressure numbers stay up there. Lifting you up in prayer all night.

Jaime said...

still praying for you all in illinois. what a roller coaster you are on right now... i wish it was one that was enjoyable.

Tammy said...

Wonderful news that Kate's blood pressure is up! I be pray she will be better and out of there soon!

Debbie Olson said...

Karin, I came her from Kim's blog; my family and I will be praying for dear little Kate tonight!

The Winter Family said...

Bob Prunty has given us your link - and asked us to pray for little Kate. Will be praying for all involved - medical care to childcare. I'll follow the blog for updates. As sisters and brothers in Jesus Christ, we trust and believe God will provide all that is needed, and we'll support our family in Christ through prayer. With love, because of Christ, Patti (for the whole Winter Family)

Angie said...

It sounds like Kate is receiving superb care. Watch out, though...she may be enjoying this care more than you realize and then she'll expect it at home! That's just one more reason for her to recover quickly and get home! :) So glad to hear that her blood pressure is up...praise God!

Holly said...

Hi Karin,
This is great news!!!! Things will continue to go up from here!!!! I wanted to tell you that the 7 week stay is completely normal, so I don't want you to feel as if anything is out of the norm.

Funny how God works...I emailed Tristin's nurse, Kelly and asked her to keep an eye on Kate. She emailed me back and said that she was so tickled to get my email because she had just finished her shift with Kate:)

I'm so glad that things are progressing! :)

Wife of the Pres. said...

OK, Karin, you mentioned the FONTAN. So maybe our girls did have the same procedure. My S bug came home 8 DAYS after the Glenn and FONTAN in one surgery! She was just 12 days shy of 3 when she had her surgery.Prayers going up continually. She LOOKS GREAT!

Oh and they told us 3-4 weeks. :))))) GOD IS ABLE!!!

Wife of the Pres. said...

I mean Kate LOOKS GREAT!!! My S looks great too, but I meant your Katie looks great. Sounds like she is turning a corner!!! Thanks for keeping us posted!