Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tue. Morning Update


Kate did well overnight. Her swelling has gone down because she is draining fluid like crazy, so they are putting more back in to keep her blood pressure stable. It's still bouncing around a bit, but they said this happens sometimes.

She looks a bit more relaxed this morning, although she keeps trying to turn over onto her tummy. She normally sleeps on her tummy.

Last night someone put her hair in pigtails and she looks adorable. I can't say enough about the staff here. They are awesome! Dr. Bove came this morning, but I wasn't here yet. He is an amazing doctor--so incredibly humble for being so famous. He is known around the world but you'd never know it by talking to him. He is totally down to earth and has told us several times that he just doesn't know the answer to our questions.

One of those was: since she has one ventricle, and no pumping action in her heart, how does the blood get to her lungs?

He said he didn't know! He said they don't know how it works except to say that it ends up being a pulling action, rather than a pumping ac tion. So, it's more of a suction type of thing--her heart contracts (push) and when it relaxes, it PULLS the blood through the lungs. You would think this would be most inefficent, but it works. The doctor said none of them know WHY it works...they just know that it does.

Jeff just called and said that his mom and sister are going to fly here tomorrow to take care of our kids at home. I am beyond grateful!!!!! It will take a huge load off my mind.

I have been battling a sore throat the past few days, so if you wouldn't mind praying that I would not succomb to the cold that the kids had last week, I would be grateful. :)

I will update if there is any change. I think today will mostly be just trying to slowly wean Kate off of the equipment she is hooked up to. She is currently on a pacemaker because her heart is too swollen to beat normally (this is normal). Her machines and tubes are doing their job and we are very thankful.

Thank you for standing with us. It means more than you could know.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I'm thankful Kate did well through the night. That picture of her is so sweet. She looks at ease and comfortable.

I will continue to pray.

The McCarleys said...

We are so glad to hear that Kate is doing so well! What a blessing to have Jeff's mom and sister come to help. Hope you're able to get rest.

Love,
The McCarleys

Jane Biniker said...

Hi Karin,

I've been emailing with your Dad for updates...Kate & your family have been heavily on my heart & in my prayers...so thankful to get these updates. Praying for rest & health for YOU & thankful for your children's care at home (praise God for mothers!!) :)
So thankful Kate is in a great hospital with very qualified Docs...reassuring to know you are in the best possible care!
I also was smiling when your Dad told me how the Lord worked it out for your Mom to be there!! (very cool)

We have an amazing God...and we are trusting Him for His continued GRACE & healing for precious lil' Kate.

Hugs & love to you,

Jane Biniker (CF family)

Jeremiah 30:17

Meredith said...

I'm so happy that Kate had a good night!! You all have been in my thoughts and prayers and Mark's too! I talked to dad last night and he does not know you Dr. but thinks very highly of him.
So glad to hear that Jeff's mom and sister are coming!!! What a relief!
Much love and continued prayers!
Meredith

James, Dawn and Family said...

May the LORD continue to give you strength, healing, peace and comfort. Keep up the good work Kate.

Joyful Mom said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet, sweet little angel she is. Praise God that she is dong soooo well. And, I am so thrilled that help is on the way to take care of your other kids--what a huge relief for you.

Trusting your sweet one feels better and better, that her pain will be minimal. And, that mom can rest too--I can only imagine how draining it all is for you.

Michelle "Logey" said...

Sweet Kate....We are praying for you sweet girl!
We are sending up prayers from Clayton, NC!!!!
Karin, we are praying for all of you....may God hold you in the palm of his hands!!!!!

Love, Michelle Logan