Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Morning Update

We have had a steady stream of medical staff in here today, so I haven't had a chance to update.

Kate had a good night and seems more like herself this morning. I think it's because she was able to eat the tomato soup last night, which made her thirsty, and she drank a lot before going to bed. HOORAY!!

She was awake past midnight. ugh.

They came to talk to me about the meds she will have to take for the rest of her life. Honestly, I think I will need to grieve a little for her about some of the things they said.
-No pregnancy
-Weekly blood draws for lab testing because of the Coumadin (gradually they should be able to get that down to monthly or every 5-6 weeks) They have ordered a finger poke machine so that I can eventually do her labs at home but that will take three months to arrive.
-Easy bruising, need to be extra careful with her re: falls, bumps, etc. No rough play
-No gym class when she is older, due to the possibility of hard bumps or falls

The hardest part to hear was the 'no pregnancy' and the Coumadin for life, that will require blood draws. (Coumadin is a blood thinner that she has to take to help prevent blood clots in her heart conduit.)

She is such a nurturer, that I know she will mourn the lack of ability to have children. Since she has such severe heart disease, it would seem doubtful that she would be able to adopt, either. She would never pass the medical requirements.

I know that God has great plans for her and that she will have a wonderful, fulfilling life no matter what her medical condition is. I just need to take some time to grieve for her losses. She is so utterly precious. I am so blessed to be her Mama.

10 comments:

Kim K. said...

I'm grieving over the pregnancy statement. That's so hard to imagine. I'm teary-eyed thinking about it. God has big plans. We just have to keep reminding ourselves of her destiny. It's going to be amazing. It just has to be!! Extra hugs!!

Meredith said...

I'm grieving with you over the no pregnancies. It is sad to hear and to comprehend but I can only imagine why God has planned this for her life.
So many people have Mothers that don't act like real mothers and they consider other women who love and nurture them as if they were their own. Who knows, Kate may be a Mother of Many and never birth one of them! I told you, God has big plans for Kate!!

PFK
Love you, Meredith

trustandobey said...

Hi Karen,
I am sorry for the news too. Eventually the finger pricks will become so routine that they won't phase her,I would imagine. As for the loss of ever being pregnant, as moms of both bio and adopted children, we know there is no difference in our hearts. I would hope and pray that God will keep the adoption door open for her and others in her situation that can appreciate the gift of adoption more than most. I know that there are countries now where health issues are not as relevant as they could be. Anyway, we will just pray to that end. Since she is a nurturer at heart, God will no doubt surround her with little ones in His perfect way.
I am sorry for hard news today.
Lisa

Cari Bacon said...

God bless her heart...and yours.

God does have a plan, and in that we all have hope!

PFK,
Cari

The Prieskorn Way said...

Something wonderful is in store for Kate, keep the faith. Who knows where life and God will lead her. You have helped save her life and she WILL DO GREAT THINGS!!

Kimberly said...

That is really hard to hear, Karin. I can hope that medical advances in the future and also attitudes and options around adoption may make a different to her in the future.

I had to laugh about the wide eyed at midnight. Our Tian Li would stay up until the wee hours nightly if she had her way. I have images of the kids at Hope all playing with the night Ayi while the rest of the grown ups sleep...

Wife of the Pres. said...

Karin, I am so sorry. We were told pregnancy would most likely be life-threatening for S and the baby. But Karin, China considers those w/ conditions that are the SAME as the child whom they petition to adopt. Wouldn't this apply to heart as well? I am thinking it would! And God is bigger than all the formalities.

Grieve this as long as you need to though. Your tender heart is so precious. Love and Hugs and PTL for the wonderful going home possibility!!!

Tammy said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm praying for you. I kept thinking as I read this post of the verse that reminds us, "With God all things are possible". I know God already has her future planned out and I can't help but think that He means what He says when He says nothing is impossible with HIM. If He wants her to have children, then it doesn't matter what the doctors or the adoption statistics say.
Let me encourage you.... My husband is on Cumadin and we both have heart issues and we are heading to China to adopt our little girl next month (even after being told over two years ago by a large agency that "China wouldn't touch us". God does what He chooses in order to get the most glory! Hang on to that Unflinching HOPE that I know has carried you thus far in your journey.
May God bless you and strengthen you heart!

K said...

Yes, the lack of pregnancy is hard to hear right now. There are new advances in medicine all the time. By the time she grows up, who knows what opportunities will be available.

I'm grieving right along with you, now, though.

Brian & Rachel Davis said...

Just an FYI - Domestic adoptions don't necessarily have the same health stipulations that foreign adoptions have.