Monday, April 20, 2009

Personal stuff from Karin :)

I have been reading your comments and rather than respond to them in the comments section, I thought I would post. :)

Sandi...I had no idea you had taken this amazing picture of Kate when she first arrived at Hope. That picture has been cemented in my mind ever since I saw it on the LWB blog probably two years ago. I had no idea that someday I would be her Mommy. I have always wondered who took that photo!


Someone asked for specific prayer requests. Thank you! :) I am totally humbled that you would want to pray so earnestly for our family.
For Kate: pain control, chest tube drainage would stop, regain her strength and be able to eat
For Jeff, our other kids, his mom and sister at home: strength, kids will not miss Mommy too much, and that the household can be peaceful and run smoothly. Jeff has to travel for work next week, so that will be a challenge
For me: strength, sleep, that I will not get the sinus infection that I seem to be working toward (urgh) and that you would all keep writing to me because it helps to keep me sane! ;-) Also that I could be an encouragement to other families who are up here.

Kate will not remember today's dreadful procedure because they gave her a medicine that makes her forget everything. I asked them if they could give me some as well, but no luck there. :)

Yes, she had a fontan surgery. Normally, this surgery is done in three stages. To borrow a phrase from "A Christmas Story," "In an apparent breach of etiquette, Kate skipped the second stage surgery and went straight for the coup de gras of heart surgeries...the fontan." No triple dog dares or anything, though. We aren't sure why she skipped the second one, but are glad she was able to do so.

I can sit with my laptop next to her bed, so feel free to write me. It's not bothering me--in fact it helps me to know that I'm not alone up here.