Friday, April 17, 2009

2:40 PM Update - Fri.



Kate's nurse today asked me if I wanted to hold her! I jumped at the chance. :) After lunch, she got another nurse to help her get all of Kate's wires transferred over to my arms while I sat in a rocking chair. Sweet moment!! I loved it!

Unfortunately, it didn't last very long. Kate dumped a ton of fluids and combined with the small dose of sedative they gave her, it caused her blood pressure to bottom out. The nurse got an intense look on her face and said, "We have to get her back in bed NOW." I looked at the monitor and her blood pressure was around 37/29. Several doctors came quickly into the room and the nurses started pumping her with fluids. It was very tense while we waited for the fluids to raise her blood pressure and while I listened to the doctors giving instructions on which medicines to put into her. I tried to keep it together but wow...it was very frightening. My friend, Karla, was here and quickly stepped back out of the way, watching.

After the episode was over, I looked at Karla and said, 'Am I a wuss, or was that frightening?" She gave me a look that said, 'Uh..yeah, it was frightening!"

Kate is okay now, but I won't be holding her any more today. It was so wonderful to get her in my arms for a few minutes.

She is slowly improving, so that is good news. It's just a slow process. They did not try to get an IV into her, so she was spared that trauma. She hasn't eaten anything by mouth, though, so I'm not sure what they plan to do about getting her lipids (fats) into her body. I'll update you when I hear something.

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Your last two posts have brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy Kate is slowly getting better! I know it's by baby steps, but she will get there!

The photo is priceless! I look forward to seeing more of her in your arms. :)

Jen said...

What a sweet moment to see Kate in your arms!! I continue to pray for Kate and your entire family. Praising God that she is slowley getting better. In your last post you mentioned that Dr. Li did some training at the hospital where you are now. I read in one of LWB archive post that he did our daughter's (Xi Ai Yan), who is waiting for us in Dingyuan,
surgery!!
Praying here in Indiana

Kim K. said...

Even if it was short-lived, I'm so glad you were able to hold Kate. Continued prayers coming your way.

connie said...

That has to be the most healing ointment - to be in Mommy's arms. I know it led to a frightening moment - praise the Lord for excellent staff! We will continue to pray and look forward to future pictures of Kate in your arms!

Cari Bacon said...

I love the picture! Your smile put a BIG grin on my face!! It was frightening just reading the post of the events that followed. I can't imagine being there seeing it all happening. Still praying for continued and complete healing for little Kate.

I just came back from visiting my Nani (grandmother) today in the hospital. I usually go to her house every Friday to help her with meals and whatever else she needs, but she was admitted into the hospital on Wednesday night for severe back pains. Finally diagnosed it today as diverticulitis, which is good considering what it could have been. She has had color cancer in the past. I just praise the Lord each day we have with her as she will be 83 this July.

Joyful Mom said...

How absolutely precious to see Kate in your arms, even if it was too briefly. Gosh, that sure does sound like it was frightening. I cannot imagine. Praise God she is doing so much better now. I know that as each day passes she will gain strength and will begin to feel so much better.

Sending you a huge hug from a very snowy CO. Ug!

Kimberly said...

I'm sorry it was so brief but how wonderful to hold her in your arms! What a great photo!

How amazing - the connection to China and your hospital and surgeons.

Tammy said...

So glad you got your treasure in your arms today! Praying God continues to sustain you, your family, and little Kate!

Tracy said...

What a precious moment!