Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why Bill and Lynsay have a soft spot in my heart

The blog shower is humming along. Thank you so much to all who have donated. If you haven't, and you're considering it, I want to share with you one of the many reasons this couple is so dear to my heart.

We met when we were adopting Jordan in 2006. I was working for Love Without Boundaries as a foster care coordinator, and I needed to pay a visit to 'my kids.' Bill and Lynsay were living there and Lynsay was the one who sent me information on the kids each month so that I could type up reports to sponsors. Shortly before we had come to China, one little baby was brought in that was in such bad shape, Lynsay became almost her full time nurse (in addition to the nannies assigned to the baby). The baby had suffered horrible neglect to the point that her bedsores were life threatening. I have photos--but they are too graphic to put on the blog. The sores on her head were so deep that one large area exposed her skull. She had sores on her back and under one arm as well. To further complicate things, she had a severe heart condition which caused her to be blue, and was suffering from third stage malnutrition. It wasn't long before she also had pneumonia. Lynsay did not think she would live due the bed sores alone--they were that bad. Lynsay devoted herself to this little one, spending sleepless nights and tending to her many special needs.

Intake Photo

From LWB archives...all bandaged and on the mend


I saw this precious baby when we visited as she had only been there about a month and was in the new LWB intensive care unit at Hope. If only I had known she would someday be my precious Kate, I would have lingered a bit longer that day. But God knew that I probably would have never been able to tear myself away from her--nor would I have been able to wait for over two more years to bring her home.

This is the photo I took of Kate that day.

Yes. It was our Kate. She would not be alive if not for the combined efforts of Lynsay, Hope staff, and LWB staff. She still bears the scars of those awful first days--with large bald spots on her head from the bedsores--but she also bears the LOVE that she was shown. She is a child full of joy and although we have laughed about her being a 'princess' we are so very thankful that she has had so much nurturing that she would EXPECT to be treated that way.

I know that many of you prayed so much for our little Kate when she had her surgery earlier this year. Please consider the other little 'Kate's' who are in Bill and Lynsay's care--now and in the future--and consider a donation to help them outfit the new baby home. Just go to their site and click on the donate button. If you prefer to send a check, you can mail it to:
The Cause
365 NE Greenwood Avenue Suite 1
Bend, Oregon 97701
USA
Designate in the memo section that it is for Morning Star Foundation.

No amount is too small! Even $5 helps. Your help could turn a little's one's fate from certain death, to this:

25 comments:

Shonni said...

Wow, what an amazing story!!! Thank you for sharing this.

Lori said...

Such an amazing testimony to how God is using Bill and Lynsay as His vessels to help the frailest of children who need families. I really hope that others catch the vision of what they are doing and support them with prayer and donations.

Kim K. said...

Ok. I'm crying in my office. No fair! You know I will always hold a special place for heart babies. Hugs to your sweet little girl, Bill and Lynsay, and your own very special family!!

Cari Bacon said...

Nothing short of a miracle for sure! So hard to see her in that first pictures *tears*. Praise God for watching over her!!

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness--that is so unbelievable. What a transformation. There really is HOPE for every child, isn't there friend? Such an incredible testimony of hope and healing.

Thank you for sharing your precious daughter with us. She looks like SUCH a delight.

Holly said...

Truly. Can we comprehend the value of life? The value of ONE life? Thank you for sharing this Karin.
What a mighty God and I'm thankful for His workers.

Jean said...

I am actually kind of shook up seeing the picture of your little Kate. It breaks my heart that a child would ever be in that condition.

God is so good! To think that Lynsay took care of your baby and saw her through the rough times- wow, what an amazing story.

I met Lynsay too when we traveled to China to meet Sarah but I only delivered a gift- nothing like this.

Thank you for sharing this! praise the Lord!

BTW- your sweet Kate is beautiful!

Sally- That Girl! said...

Thank you for sharing such a sensitive but important story with us, not that we needed another reason to contribute, but I am sure it will open the wallets of some!

I will post a link onto my blog as well!

Your precious girl is beautiful!

Lynsay said...

I will never, ever, forget the day Kate came in. She was wearing a frilly little hat and the directors or whoever it was that brought her were laughing and smiling about how cute she was. They told me she was a few months old. I took off her clothes, and hat to examine her and saw what I saw. It was obvious to me she was far more than a few months old, it was also obvious she had suffered more than a little neglect.

I had held babies in terrible conditions as they died and held them while they cried, but not until Kate did I have such a rush of emotion and anger like I did. I was SO angry. I remember walking up the long hallway of Hope from my office to the other side, my eyes burning and my fists clenched. I was ready to hit something.

It is true that we poured hours and hours of tears and prayer into Kate, many times never knowing if she was going to live. There was one time I had to get up every 2 hours to give her IV medicine, oh she hated me then. She would scream everytime she saw me. But, it was the Lord who worked this miracle.

Kate is special, not only did God work to intertwine our lives, but without Kate I don't think we would be doing what we are. Many times I look at the hopeless situations around me, and remember God's faithfulness to Kate. There were too many impossibilities in her little life, but she is home now, another impossibility.

Without Kate, our reaction to her, our care for her, the Lords hand on her and ultimately her adoption, I don't think we would be here again. But instead of a sad story, He has created a story for His glory, and even created a bond between your family and mine that will last forever!

For that, I will always be thankful! (did I just write a blog post in the comment section??!)

Karin said...

Lynsay, I had no idea that Kate's life played such a big part in why you started Morning Star. God is SO amazing, isn't he? Thank you for writing all that out. I will save it for her. Hopefully, you can tell her the story in person when she is older. :)

Kathleen said...

I am so glad that I have found your blog and that I now have another "New Englander" blog buddy. I love your story of adoption but even more I love how you are living out your faith in Christ for all the world to see. I hope to one day have a family as big as yours. You are a light in a dark place so keep living for Him!!! New England needs Jesus...

I love your photos too. My kids would be right in the water with your gang.

Love,

Kathleen from Vermont:)!!!

Janet said...

Karen, I'm so glad you posted this--how amazing is God's timing!!We hope to meet Bill and Lynsay in January and take them some supplies. I'm more excited about that than seeing Beijing for the 1st time (3rd adoption trip).

Nancy said...

OH MY! Oh, Lynsay, if ever I wondered (and I didn't!) why you do what you do, I now know without a shadow of doubt. The picture of Kate in the beginning...beyond heartbreaking...beyond horrifc...oh, Lord, help these little ones! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for what you are doing. If ever I get the chance, I hope to come over and help in some small way! I will continue to petition for your ministry, and for these precious children. THANK YOU for being willing to be Jesus to these babies. I love you, having never even met! But hey, if Linny says you're the best, then it must be so! :)

Hugs and love and prayers!
Nancy in CT

trustandobey said...

Wow Karen,
Now I am going to throw my girls in the car and come up there to give you and Kate a hug. Forget the scenery:)
We are supporting this group.
Lisa

quilt-n-mama said...

I love to hear her story and am amazed seeing God's plan all laid out for her! WIth special people all along the way!

I got your message about the Bible Study, email me at quiltnmama2@gmail.com- we'd love to have you join us.
Blessings,
Gayly

quilt-n-mama(dot)blogspot(dot)com

Jackie said...

I know most in this world will chalk Kate's journey and eventual adoption into your family as pure dumb luck, but if there ever is a story of God's providence in placing baby Kate into Bill and Lynsay's arms so she could get well enough to eventually find her way into yours, it's this one. To Him be all the glory!!

Hon's Daddy said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Karin said...

Lisa..come'on up. Jake needs to meet his future wife. :)

Mom/Gramma said...

Hi, we haven't met (yet), but I am Lynsay's Mom. I was at Hope visiting Bill & Lynsay & our grandgirls when little Kate came in. The top picture is what I remember - and the sores that were just so unbelievable! Such neglect! Lynsay was so careful with her & I know was overwhelmed at what to do for her. Sigh.

Thank you for posting Kate's picture. She's a doll and it's so sweet to see what the Lord can do in a little frail life! He IS the Great Physician!

Karin said...

Lynsay's mom...wow...I never knew you were there when Kate came in. If not for her scars, you would never know she had been so neglected. She is happy and sweet. I am so grateful for Lynsay & Bill, and your grandgirls are amazingly cute and fun to be with! :)

trustandobey said...

Karin,
You. Do. Not. Know. How. Really. Tempted. I. Am. :o)))))))
This has to be one of the most touching posts I have read. If i can figure it out I will link from my blog to yours.
Lisa

Mom/Gramma said...

Well, Karen - - - it's stories like Kate's that make having our children and grandgirls on the other side of the world just a bit more bearable. Kate is beautiful!

(and I agree - my grandgirls ARE cute and fun to be with - - - they must take after ME - heehee!)

~Dauna.

Lyn said...

So beautiful...it brings me to tears to see the difference in Kate. God is amazing. It is awesome what Lynsay and Bill are doing.I love hearing how God brought your children home.
Love,
Lyn

Karin said...

Lisa...it's really easy to link. In your tool bar at the top of a blog post, there is a little thingy (I am so techie, aren't I?) that will allow you to insert a link. If you run your cursor over the tool link slowly, it will pop up. At least it should. :) Or you can just copy and paste the link into a post and send it that way.

Lynsay's mom--you CRACK ME UP!!

Wendy said...

Your Kate is so beautiful and obviously has a wonderful fighting spirit to have endured what she did. May God watch over these children and keep them strong until they get the help they need and may this help come soon for all the rest.
Wendy