Friday, May 01, 2009

Home Sweet Home


All dressed and ready to go home


"Riding in my chariot but I'm not sure where I'm going."

Our first day home went reasonably well. Kate is doing well and even ate some supper tonight. The little kids have taken turns having meltdowns, but I expected that they would. They are glad to have Mommy and Kate back home. Jeff's mom and sister flew home today. We are so thankful that they were willing to come and take care of the kids. I don't know what we would have done without them.

"Thank you, Aunt Penny!"


"We love you, Grandma!"


Kate had a few packages waiting for her when she got home, which she opened this morning. It worked out well so that she could ease into the day and share her surprises with her siblings (who had looked covetously at her big pile of loot from the hospital.) They are all lining up to have surgery so they can get presents. haha

Kate was very confused about what was happening when we got her ready to go home last night. She got panicked and started crying when Jeff wheeled her out of her room. I kept reassuring her that I was staying with her and we were going home. She continued to look apprehensive all the way home. Once we were home, she still acted a bit unsettled, so when I took her to her room, I showed her that Zoey was sleeping in her crib. Kate peered intently into the crib but didn't say anything. I got her settled in and was talking quietly to my sister in law outside the bedroom door, when we heard Kate talking to herself. A few minutes later we heard Zoey stirring in her crib, and then Kate said, "Are you Zoey?"
Zoey said, "Yes. Go night,night."
Kate retorted, "YOU go night, night."

Penny and I cracked up!!

Kate was pretty active today and took a long nap. It's been very good for her to be home and playing with her siblings. They do tend to gawk at her chest and all the new scars she has, so I have to remind them to give her some space and not stare.


"All ready for bed after my bath."

11 comments:

Kim @ Up North Mommy said...

How wonderful that she's doing well. She looks so much better, too. Pinker, healthier.

Kim K. said...

I'm so happy to see all your kiddos together in pictures. Kate's coloring does look marvelous. When Josie came back home from Mott's, she literally touched every single object in the house to make sure she was home. She was so confused. Are you having visiting nurses come to your house for vital checks? We took advantage of their services instead of dragging Josie out several times a week. I think we had visiting nurses at our house for a month. Just a thought.

sara said...

so glad you are home!!

trustandobey said...

Hi Karin,
So happy that you two are back home. How comfortable was your bed last night?Still praying for your reentry into home life.Kate looks very happy. This time next year she will look at you and say "What surgery?" God is good! I think you and your husband are awesome.
Lisa

Missy said...

Hi! My name is Missy! I found out about your blog by reading a couple of others that I follow. Anyways, I have been reading several times a day and was thrilled to read about Katie being home! I even have done some research on the fontan procedure so I could better understand what she had done. It is amazing and wonderful that doctors have the knowledge and skill to give life to these precious children. I just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that I have been thinking of you here in Wichita, KS and counting my blessings when I look at my little one from China! I hope you all get settled back into your daily routine! God bless you!

Missy Wenzl
Momma to Mandy Rose, age 3 from Guangzhou

Wife of the Pres. said...

OK, Karin, they are all so precious!!! I agree too with Kim K. Kate looks AMAZING!!! You are blessed to have had Grandma and Aunt Penny to stay!!! I am guessing they are sleeping well this weekend. (he, he)

Praise God for another miraculous healing in a precious little heart!

Kimberly said...

What an adorable little conversation! How great to be in your own beds tonight, surrounded by your family!

Pete, Alison and Charlie said...

Welcome home Kate! Hope you all settle back in to your normal routine very quickly! Kate looks fab - so lovely and PINK! Take care, with love X

sierrasmom said...

How great to have her home!!! She looks wonderful!!!!
Kathie

Amanda said...

It is so nice to see everyone home and doing well. I bet it was nice to sleep in your own bed. May God stay with you to finish the healing process.

David and Sarah said...

So glad that your sweet girl is safe at home, with her family who loves her.

Blessings,
Sarah