Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How's that Forgiveness Working Out for You?


As usual, as soon as I spout off something about how God helped me with something, I am tested on it. Just like clockwork. :)

My kids got to know some of the neighbor kids today and came to dinner with tales of the comments that were made.

"If I touch your sister, will I get three toes like her? I don't want to get her disease."
"What happened to your brother's ear? Was it from a disease?"

There seemed to be quite a few comments about 'disease,' so I think the neighbor kids thought they could catch a special need. What a great opportunity to introduce them to some wonderful little kids who happen to have some special issues!

I waited to see how my kids were reacting, and was so thrilled to hear them say, "I think they have never seen kids with special needs before. They don't know what to ask."

Apparently they handled it just fine because the neighbor kids came back after dinner. I went outside for awhile and they were all having a blast with the little kids. It's so cute to watch how the older kids want to play with the pre-schoolers. What was really interesting is that Zoey, who has the most obvious special need, soon became the favorite. Gotta love that!


What's not to love?!

11 comments:

Adeye said...

Yes, dear friend---what's not to love :)

Love it!

It sure sounds like your kiddos are settling in and making some new friends--that is absolutely wonderful.

The Ferrill's said...

Oh my goodness, you're right! That beautiful child! And I know exactly what you mean...I am consistently tested on those things that I encourage others to do! Thank the Lord He loves us too much to leave us alone, amen? ;)

trustandobey said...

She is yummy!
Wish you were our neighbors and my kids could play with yours! Your neighbors have no idea what "treasures from afar" have been sent to them.
Lisa

Angie said...

See...God is already using your whole family to witness to others. Your children handled it so graciously!

Kim K. said...

I couldn't agree more. I wish we would have had an opportunity to get to know your kiddos while you were in MI. I gave you a shout-out on my blog this morning. You always inspire me.

Lori said...

Oh, that DARLING face! Yeah, only a cold-hearted shrew wouldn't love that girly!

Your kids are incredible! And what a great and wise Mama you are to help them through these things in a Christ-like way. They will be strong, compassionate adults someday as a result!

Gretchen said...

She is so stinkin cute!
I still say she is a Mongolian Princess!

Love you!

Meredith said...

Love it!!! all of it!!!

Sharon said...

I'm so glad to hear the comments didn't affect the kids in a bad way. I agree with you...Zoey is precious!

Cari Bacon said...

Well...I got my turn tonight. I was at a Pamp.Chef party tonight and I heard a women (that I didn't know) and my aunt talking about my 4 yr old and about our family going back to Ch**a for her sister. The women said, "Are they going back for her real sister or are the just adopting another one". *UGH*

Well, I'm sure you can imagine how I wanted to jump into that conversation and "make all the proper corrections"!!!

Then...a still small voice reminded me of your post about forgiveness. I don't even know if my daughter heard what was said, so I just decided to let it go...realizing that she wasn't intentionally trying to be hurtful.

Thanks for the lesson, Karin!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Loved both posts! I struggle sometimes w/ being too overprotective of S. It really grates on me too when people say, "Oh, they did such a gooooooood job when they fixed her lip." Or "She looks so gooooooood now!" I know you are right though Karin! I need to respond in kindness. I do try to often just smile. Do you think it is OK if I say "Yes, she is as beautiful as ever." (with a smile of course). I think this is OK. I hope it is. I don't think people realize at all what they are really saying or they wouldn't say it. I do believe that.

I need to work on this though.