Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Memorial Box Monday --on Tue. :)

OK--I have an excuse for not getting this done on Monday. The realtors were coming this morning for their walk-thru of our house and we had to have it spotless. Jeff and I got it done last night--he was so great to help me with it.

So...Memorial box story...

When we were adopting our first daughter from China, my beloved Grandma was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I had a deep desire to name Jillian after her, but her first name was...uh...dreadful. Her middle name was Elizabeth, but I didn't like the way that sounded with Jillian. My dream name was Jillian Leigh and one morning I wondered if maybe Leigh could possibly be a derivative of Elizabeth. I rooted around for a baby name book but couldn't find one, so after dropping the boys at school, I headed to the store.

It had been an emotional week in the long waiting game of adoption. I was struggling with the total lack of control I had in being able to take care of a daughter who was waiting on the other side of the world.

I headed to the book aisle and picked up a baby name book. With slightly trembling hands, I opened it to the name, "Elizabeth," and quickly scanned all the possible names that came from it. "Leigh" was not listed. I bit my lip to keep from crying. I normally am not easily moved to tears, but like I said, it had been an emotional week.

I stood there talking to God and begging Him..."Couldn't you PLEASE make it possible for me to name Jillian after my Grandma?" I opened my eyes again and looked down at the name in the book. This time, I saw it like this.

Eli zabeth.
Not only were the letters "li" in bold--but they also were in 3-D.

Li is how "Leigh" is spelled in China.

I stood there in that store aisle knowing I had just been given a miracle. God had answered the cry of this Mama's heart in even the smallest little thing. It was small to most people, but it meant a great deal to me.

Jeff and I with Jillian in China...yep...we looked a lot younger then.

5 comments:

Kim K. said...

That's a very sweet story. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes with the Realtor and house showings. I don't envy you one little bit.

James, Dawn and Family said...

That is the sweet face I remember playing in the seat in front of me at church. How time fly's. We are moving to Florida in August so I know your pain.

Shonni said...

That is such a precious story...the LORD has given us this precious gift with a few of our children also...it is so amazing, His Love for us!

Holly said...

I am constantly amazed at the intimacy we have access to with God and how He honors those little desires of our hearts that don't really seem to be even worth "bothering" Him about.
I would love to hear about how you have been blessed with so many treasures from afar, maybe while I'm in bed, I can go back through your past entries :)
Children are a blessing from the Lord, an inheritance from Him!
What an inheritance!
Love,
Holly

Cami said...

That is sooo amazing!