Monday, February 22, 2010

Toddler Tantrums

Just so you know that it's not all sweetness and light around here, I will give you a glimpse of what happens, at times. Zoey had Kate put on quite a show the other day. It was so bad that I eventually went to get the camera. Sadly, it's hard to tell by the photos the intensity of the weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth and stomping of feet.

It all started after we left a restaurant that was handing out balloons. Obviously, we could not take eight balloons home in the car, so I made a deal with the kids. We would take four and they had to share. They all agreed.

Until....

We got home.

Zoey and Kate could not grasp the concept of sharing their balloon. First Zoey threw a fit because Kate wouldn't share. Me, weary of hearing about the stupid balloon all the way home in the car, and who was and was not sharing, told Kate to hand it to Zoey for a minute. Kate had to take her coat off anyway, for Pete's sake.

Kate grudgingly handed it over, took her coat off with uncharacteristic speed, and then both girls disappeared.

Seconds later, loud wails erupted from Zoey. Kate had repossessed the balloon.

Argh.

In a moment of parental exasperation, I strode over to Kate and said, "OK, neither of you are getting to play with this, since you can't share." And I took the balloon away.

I was unprepared for the intensity of the hysteria that followed. Oh.My.Word. It was so ridiculous. They were screeching and kicking their feet on the floor. Jeff heard them screaming and he was out in the garage! Taylor pulled his ear phones out and came to check it out. It was hard for him to avoid smirking.

I must admit that it was so loud and absurd that even I busted out laughing. This only increased their rage.

They were told that they needed to take themselves up to their rooms and get in bed for naps, since they couldn't control themselves and were acting in an unacceptable manner. They continued their loud chorus of Hysteria up the stairs, which is when I decided to get the camera.

Kate was tiring, and could only manage a loud, fake moan-like cry


Zoey was still quite torked over the unfairness of the entire situation

And the irony of the whole thing is this: The house we are renting has a very high ceiling in the family room. It goes up two stories or so. Guess where the balloon ended up? SaraGrace also lost her very cool, princess balloon that I bought her at the hospital last week. We now have a balloon graveyard in our family room. Sad.


I'm thinking the Princess mylar balloon might be up there until summer.

18 comments:

sara said...

LOL! thanks I needed that laugh!

Blessed Mom of Four, Now Five said...

Tantrums must be in the air. Ellie had quite the FIT this morning...she wanted me to braid her hair, and I told her I would if she would get dressed quickly. Instead, she sat for 5 minutes doing nothing, then when I told her I wouldn't have time to braid her hair, the screams began....all over braids, almost as serious as balloons.

Lori said...

Just when I think things have reached the peak of funniness in your house...you go and make the kids SHARE a balloon. This is simply hilarious! I love the graveyard...it's very fun and festive!

So what's on tap for tomorrow?? Making them share suckers?

Heehee, just kiddin' ya!

We always end up a balloon fiasco too...and we only have ONE little one. But somehow Lucy can turn it into a drama like none other.

Jean said...

Honestly they stay up their LONG! Your safe! Sleep well!

Just so you know your kids area adorable even when they are upset!

I love what Lori said!! Just send her home in a car with 8 BALLOONS- then we'll see what she says!

Are you really going to make them share suckers tomorrow?

Adeye said...

Hahahahaha---that sounds JUST like my house? Oh my goodness. Never a dull moment, hey?

I know you would have it no other way, friend :)

Kimberlie said...

#2 is 6 and had a whale of a tantrum today. Paul was offering to take all three with him when he took the dog to the bike path for a walk, but no they could not ride their scooters. Well, he pitched such a fit that lasted nearly 30 minutes, missed the walk, and accomplished nothing but irritating me who was looking forward to cooking dinner in peace and quiet. I thought toddler tantrums ended when toddlerhood ended?!?

Angie said...

In a sick way...I'm glad to hear others have these tantrums, too. Makes me feel normal. And where did you find leg warmers for Kate? Adorable!!

Kim K. said...

Josie can throw down over the silliest of things. I'm glad to know we're not only ones that deal with complete hysteria on a regular basis. Thanks for keeping it real, Karin!!

Kristin Ferguson said...

Love it, love it. Keeping it real is the only way to be. :)

My boys would gladly come shoot down those balloons with their air soft guns!!!

Kristin

Karin said...

No sucker sharing!! EVER! Gross!!!! (Although I have caught them trying to do that--they like to share sometimes). Uh..Lori...I don't think you have ever driven in a car with 8 balloons, have you? :)))

Angie...leg warmers were a splurge from Gap--I paid too much but I LOVE them. I have seen leg warmers at Target, too, in the baby section.

Cari said...

LOL...sorry that you had to deal with the tantrums but that was an interesting read!

Are you sure you don't want to volunteer for the children's program at church?...blahahaha! :)

Martha said...

I found both your blogs today and I have officially found "my hero." You are a wonderful photographer but above that I can tell you are a wonderful person. Your little ones (and big ones) are all beautiful and I know they make you one happy mama. I have bookmarked both blogs and will be back to visit again and again. I can't wait to see what God does next in all your lives...that's what He does when He finds obedient people. God bless you! Martha

Wife of the Pres. said...

I needed a seriously great laugh! I'm laughing out loud here!!!!

I can just hear the sarcasm in your voice :) glad I am not the only Mom who just wonders what in the world goes through their minds at times like these???

I mean … a BALLOON for pete's sake! I'm afraid though I can say BTDT. We can still fit one for each in the van, but inevitably one child in particular wants to see if this or that will pop the balloon … well of course it gets popped and then he wants everyone else's balloon.

I think I may have nightmares tonight. Thanks Karin!

Wife of the Pres. said...

too funny … the word verification was "walers"

Hope no one is waling at your house today! :)))

Lyn said...

I needed that!!! It sounds like my house!
Lyn

Chris said...

Silly mama thinking they could share balloons! Now you know better and you better not try that again...learned your lesson did you?

I will never forget the wail that went up when son #2 was about 3 and insisted he could go outside and hang on to his balloon...well he couldn't, didn't forget that noise for a looong time.

Waitingfaithfully said...

Can I just say this safely in front of a whole bunch of moms?

Okay, thanks.

I HATE balloons . . . and Karin, you have just given several good reasons why! Aye, yi, yi. Balloons are fun. Balloons are festive. Balloons make a birthday party, well, a party! BUT, they are troublel I tell you. Nothing but T-R-O-U-B-L-E!

Thank you, I feel so much better. And about the balloon graveyard -- I'd be paying anyone with a Nerf gun to bring those babies DOWN! :)

Thanks for the smiles, I hope there is less wailing in your household tomorrow!

Love,

Tina

Gretchen said...

This is why we don't do balloons at my house. It is better to get the "aaaawwww" at the restraunt than to deal with the ear piercing screams later.

P.S. No balloons at Disney either. I know, I know, I am a terrible Momma. Just warning you to be prepared. They should definately all get their OWN ballooons at Disney. Just bring some scissors and the night befre you have to leave cut a tiny sliver at the base. They will deflate and then you can fold them up and pack them for the plane ride home.

P.S.S. Do NOT let them see you do this. Just explain the balloon's time was up and now they can take home the flat mylar balloon.