Thursday, January 28, 2010

"We Help You, Mama!"

My three year olds are always eager to help me with chores. (Why is it that when they are actually useful, their interest wanes considerably?)

This week, as I've gone into the bathroom to get ready in the morning, they scurry around in our bedroom. I can hear them giggling and every now and then one of them will yell, 'Don't wook yet, Mama."

When they are 'ready' for me to see, they come to get me. "Come see, Mama. We make you bed."

Sure enough...they have. Every morning. And it looks like this:

Well, at least they got all the pillows up off the floor.

They also love to help drive me crazy unload the dishwasher. They descend like little vultures and start grabbing for all the breakable things. Ack! I tell them they can only get the plastic ones and after watching them touching the tops of the silverware, I have banned them from unloading it. Well, that and the fact that they put the forks in the spoon section and don't differentiate between the large and small forks and spoons.

Today Jake wanted to help me sweep the floor. He likes to get the dust pan and sweep up the pile. The other day, he ended up dumping everything in various areas around the room. Argh. This meant that I had twice the work because I had to re-sweep everything. Today wasn't much better. But he is so earnest and cute. He REALLY wants to help and he believes that he is doing a great job. It is so sweet that he wants to help his Mama.



It made me think about how I so often want to 'help' God do His work. I eagerly volunteer for various things and think I am being so useful to Him. The reality is that I am probably botching the job horribly and am completely unaware of that. And yet, God pats me on the back anyway and says, "Good job!" Despite my fumbling attempts to serve Him, I do believe that it makes God feel loved when we want to 'help.'