Monday, January 04, 2010

Tender Goodbye's

Ryan reported to the service office this afternoon at 5PM. Taylor stayed home to babysit the three youngest kids, but the rest of us went with Ryan. He is doing well--nervous, a bit scared, but God sent encouragement by way of a friend who had just gone through boot camp. The friend called last night and gave Ryan the scoop and Ryan was feeling much more at ease.

As for me, I pretty much cried myself out over the weekend and was dry-eyed today. We will be seeing Ryan in the morning at his swearing-in ceremony and have decided to take the kids out of school to attend with us. After that, he gets on the bus for the airport and we will not see him for 9 weeks. When he finishes basic tr*ining, we are invited to attend Family Day and his graduation.

God is SO good and has totally been sustaining us and giving us peace. I have total peace now that Ryan is where God wants him to be, and that is incredibly comforting.

Last week a friend wrote me and said something about the day that I was dreading would come but that God's strength would be perfect. (thanks, Holly!) The following morning I woke up with the words to a poem running through my head. I couldn't remember all of it but part of it was something about 'the clouds you so much dread, _____will break in blessings on your head. ' Even that little part of it was already comforting me, but because it was driving me nuts not to know the whole thing, I Googled it.

And here it was... It's an old poem, so it's in Old English...

"God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
and rides upon the storm.

Ye fearful saints fresh courage take
The clouds ye so much dread

Are big with mercy and shall break

In blessings on your head."


And with those words, great comfort came as I remembered that God is working in ways that I cannot yet see. He is taking care of Ryan, watching over his every step, and encouraging me to pass the baton to Him and trust Him to take the rest of the race with Ryan. And the very clouds that I dread, are in reality the path of blessing...that I need to move forward in courage and hope, trusting that God will only bring to Ryan what will be best for him.

And so, although we are very sad, we said good-bye today with hearts that were peaceful...hearts that are held in the loving hands of the Prince of Peace. Thank you, Jesus, for loving us so much.


All packed and ready to go

Ryan and Chloe have been best buddies since she was a baby

I love you, son.

Waiting for processing

I'm proud of you, son.

I'll miss you, Ryan.

One more hug for his little buddy