Thursday, January 07, 2010

Sometimes He Calms His Child

There is a song that I didn't take the time to look up--with words that say,


I took this picture on a sunny day in December when we went to see the ocean. The surf was crashing up and spraying the pier with great intensity. The seas were very rough, but the sun was shining. It reminded me of how sometimes we can see only the rough waters and not notice that the Son is watching over us.

That is how I feel right now. Held. Calmed. Although, sometimes I let my mind wander back three years ago as I watched my cousin's casket being lifted off the military plane. Images of his military funeral drift through my head. I have to deliberately force myself to stop thinking those thoughts, and instead return to the peace and safety of God's arms. The same arms who hold my son.

It's been weird around here without him. He was only allowed to take one change of clothes and some toiletries, so all of his clothes, computer, and 'stuff' is here. I did a bunch of his laundry yesterday, which seemed odd, since he isn't here to wear any of it.

We are still waiting to get a phone call. I hang out by the phone, hoping. We did get a few texts from him last night which was soooooooo wonderful. He is doing fine--tired from getting up at 4AM every day--but fine. I got none of the details that we females like to receive--just some cryptic information stating that he gets to keep his cell phone until Monday when boot camp officially starts, he gets his gun that day, etc.

I wanted to know all the kind of stuff Mom's want to know. Did they shave your head? Are you feeling okay? Are you scared? Are you missing us? How many vaccinations did you have to get? I want to hear his voice. I can't wait to hear him say, "Hi, Mom."

I think this whole get-the-kids-out-of-the-house-thing is totally over-rated.