Monday, January 18, 2010

My Math Challenges Continue

So.

We are attending a marriage class at our church on Sunday nights. Last night there was a section of questions, one of them listing six possible things you might find yourself spending time doing in relationship with your spouse. You were to list a percentage next to each thing.

There were six.

You had to list a percentage.

Okay. I know that if you divide 100 by four, you can get a nice clean 20%--which also enables you to divide that nice clean number 20 by a few other things.

But this was six.

I leaned over and whispered to Jeff that this was going to be a big problem for me.

He quickly perused the question and said, "It's 18% each."

Oh.

Well...that is still a problem because how do you divide 18 into other numbers? I mean really.

I studied the options for awhile. I tried to figure out how to add and subtract from 18 to get other percentages.

I noticed that the woman next to me was busily filling in her numbers--which blew my opinion that a man wrote the Bible study. But then I remembered that she was an accountant or something.

Great.

I didn't want to seem like the dummy in the class. No one else seemed to be having trouble. So I did what I normally do when I am subjected to a math question that is too hard for me.

I skip it.

Maybe next week we can talk about writing out our feelings or something. Yeah. That would work out well for me.


**UPDATE...my dad just emailed me and pointed out that 100 divided by 4 is 25, not 20. Baahahahahaha. I rest my case.
Also...when Jeff got home from work he said that he originally said 18 and then said, 'Well, actually it would be 16. 66 or something." I never heard him say that, so I apologize to my man.