Monday, January 11, 2010

My Mom, the Nurse



This is a shameless I'm-proud-of-my-mom post. My mom just graduated from nursing school in November. I don't think she cares if I mention her age, so I can say that at age 65, she felt that God was leading her to go to nursing school so that she could participate in medical missions.

So she went. And she studied. And studied. She worked so hard and kept telling me that she was 'managing' to pass her classes. She totally relied on God to help her with the copious amounts of memorization that nursing school requires. Each time she got confident in her own strength, she didn't do as well. When she acknowledged her dependence on God, she did well.

I wasn't able to be at her graduation but my dad took pictures. He called me the next day, voice filled with pride and admiration for 'his girl.' He told me that when awards were being passed out, he and my mom were both shocked to hear her name called.

She had won an award for academic excellence! She finished second in her class. Yep...God helped her 'manage' to pass. And He did it with style.

When my mom received her diploma, she turned and said, "For those of you who think you can't do something...you can. Look at me graduating at 65!"

Way to go, Mom!

Mom is studying hard this week to take her state board exam. She will be taking it on Wednesday if any of you want to send up a prayer for her.