Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ryan Update

Several have asked, so here is a Ryan update. The other day, I heard my phone make the little bleep that signals that I have a text message. Being the very hip, cool person that I am, with about three people who text me, I rushed over to see who it was.

And be still my heart.

It was my boy.

He sent a picture of himself in his dress uniform. He had a buddy take it with his iPhone, so the photo is a bit fuzzy. He is not allowed to wear the jaunty beret indoors, so no hat for the photo.

I have never had the privilege of seeing him in his dress uniform. It just blessed his Mama's heart to get this photo because he knew that I would want to see him in that uniform. When he lived at home, he refused to dress up. Ever. Wearing a polo shirt was 'getting all dressed up' for Ryan. urgh....

My little text bleep thingy went off again the next day. This time he was telling me that he was struggling with his run again. They still have to do PT and he has a certain amount of time to run two miles. The hip that he injured last summer has been bothering him and he hasn't been able to finish the run in time. His sargeant told him that if he didn't pass the next time, they might discharge him. He has another test on Thursday morning.

So, we have been praying this week that he would pass the test if God wants him to stay in the Army...and that if God wants him somewhere else, he would not pass. To be honest, each time he has these tests, I'm torn about how to pray because there is a part of me that just wants him out of harms way. I would rather not face deployment, ya know? But as I pray, God realigns my heart with His and I know that God has a perfect plan for Ryan.

Today...another bleep! And this time it was exciting news. Or as our family (great lovers of quoting movie lines) would say, "It's a major award!"

Ryan's text was:
"I got presented for excellence today by the company commander, Col. Reed and got a medal for it." There was a photo included...
He said he was told it was rare to get one and he was so excited Apparently, he was recommended for this because he volunteered to help out for a special ceremony. From the serious lack of details he gave me, I *think* it was for a building dedication ceremony and a lot of high ranking Army personnel were there. I have no clue what he did to help.

Hopefully, that excitement will motivate him and help him forget about his hip tomorrow when he takes his running test again. It definitely made me feel better about praying for him to pass the test! Thank you God, for your unexpected rewards and encouragement!

15 comments:

Cari said...

I'll be praying for Ryan as well. My son just asked me yesterday if he could write the "other person" again that was in boot camp with Ryan...you know...the one that didn't receive any mail. I told him that would be great, but I'm guessing that he has a different address by now, right? If you are able to get his new address, would you please email it to me so my son can right him again?

Christel, Jerry, Alex and Anthony said...

So i have a thought for his hip... anyways for future stuff... after my hubby's knee injury, his other knee was in pain from working it more than normal... somewhere we came across this stuff... apparently it now is the most widely sold herbal thing for joints! its called Zyflamend by New Chapter. Search for it on Amazon. It really worked on my hubby's knees... now both of them are perfect again! It has ginger in it... which is very good for inflammation and healing. Anyways... just a thought.

i recently found your blog thru Kim Kenward, i think. I enjoy all the photography and of course the adorable munchkins you have! God bless your family!

Christel

Kim K. said...

I'll be praying for Ryan Thursday. Please keep us posted. How wonderful that her received an award and has been able to share this handsome picture with you!! You must be one PROUD Momma. Hugs!!

Jean said...

Karin- I sure do understand your prayers and letting Gd choose what is right for your dear boy!1

Congratulations to him! It is so cool that he received an award! Way to go Ryan!

Praying for Ryan and for his Momma, too!

(I have the poster but have not opened it, I will soon and let you know- I am sure I will love it! Sorry it has taken me so long!)

Jean said...

Sorry about all the typos- you get the point!
That's what I get for typing with 3 fingers!

;-)

Angie said...

Thank you for the update on Ryan and congrats to him for his award! Praying for him this AM as he runs...

sara said...

so good to get an update! wow! does he look handsome in that uniform!!!

praying today for his run!

Penny said...

That is so wonderful! I miss ya'll! And I have a problem with one my hips, too, and running just kills it. But doing lunges actually helps strengthen it and keep it stable. That might be something that would help him, too. I'll pray that God keeps His peace wrapped around you no matter what He has planned for Ryan.

James, Dawn and Family said...

Thanks for the post. I was wondering how he was doing. We will pray for GOD's will for Ryan.

Kim @ Up North Mommy said...

Oh, boy. I thought we were done with the running tests. I guess when you're in the military you have to stay on top of these things all the time. I'll pray that he passes his PT exam again.

But the medal! How cool! I have always believed he is perfect for the military life. I hope he can get through the PT!

Sharon said...

So sorry Ryan is having trouble with the running portion of his testing. Also, how great that he got an award to lift his confidence up a bit! Love the picture! We will be praying for Ryan AND for YOU since I completing understand how torn you feel right now where the running test is concerned.

Ally said...

I will be saying a prayer for Ryan and up coming run! I know you must be a proud momma with those photos! Priceless:)

Holly said...

I totally understand the not knowing how to pray...being relieved either way. Been there done that..RECENTLY! :)
God knows...so we can totally depent on HIM.
We'll have to talk one of these days for real :)

Tesseraemum said...

How Awesome! Praying for Ryan's run. We are having the same issue here. Isaac is now a part of the civil air patrol (thru the Air Force) and he has passed his written tests and formation test (what ever that is!) AND the other PT requirements but the run is killing him. He really wanted to get it out of the way for this 1st rank before he turns 13 and the time goes down.... I am still trying to get Isaac to send Ryan a note! I think they would be great pals! Sheri

Kristin Ferguson said...

Congratulations to Ryan for his award--that says a lot about his parents I must say!!!

Is everyone feeling better yet? Hope so!!

Kristin