Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Coming up for Air

Yes, I am still alive, crawling out from under a mountain of laundry just in time to deal with a house full of sick kids. I knew it was coming. Despite the free-flow of hand sanitizer at Disney and Sea World, let's just say that a bazillion germs went from hands to mouths during the course of a few days.

SaraGrace started it off with a croupy cough, which morphed into an asthma bark. She barked all.the.way.home. on the plane. I thought about mentioning something about SARS really loud to see if I could freak anyone out, but thought it might backfire so I just enjoyed my little joke privately.

Kate was next to succumb and then Jake surprised us all by 'barping' in his bed on Sunday. Oh the joys.

Kate and SaraGrace needed medical attention and they are now on the Bubblegum stuff for an ear infection (Kate) and possible strep (SaraGrace). You just haven't lived until you experience the drama of SaraGrace taking ANY type of medicine. Even the bubblegum stuff. argh. And we get to repeat this little exercise three times a day.

They are all taking turns getting both viruses. Some have been unlucky enough to get them in tandem. The croup scares the little kids and last night poor Zoey was freaking out that she sounded like a seal. I took her (and Kate) into the bathroom for the make-a-sauna-by-running-the-shower therapy. It barely helped but the extra attention from Mom seemed to calm them. As of this moment, SaraGrace and Molly are the only ones not sick. The rest of them are groaning with severe stomach pain and fevers--even the teenager. Poor babies!! No one else has 'barped' though, THANKFULLY!

We are closing on our house this Friday--oh yeah--have I mentioned that we are moving? Let's hope that neither Jeff nor I get the stomach virus because we both have to sign a lot of papers that day. We can't reschedule because our interest rate lock runs out that day. Woo-wee...fun times.

Yes, we are moving about 10 minutes from where we live now. We have had the privilege of renting a beautiful house for the past year. It's HUGE and gorgeous but it's time to get back to reality. We have about 6 weeks to move because our closing date and our rental overlapped, so hopefully, that will significantly lower the stress.

The trees are in full bloom right now, so I'll leave you with a few glimpses of God's majestic creation. Seriously...how did He think up all these beautiful flowers?

I took this at our local Target. They have beautiful flower beds in their parking lot. Molly slunk down in the car as people stared at the strange woman down on her hands and knees taking photos. I know...it's sad...I've become shameless.


I saw this gorgeous Dogwood tree in the doctor's office parking lot yesterday. I went back today to take some photos. Hopefully they didn't see me skulking around in the bushes.


This was also in the doctor's office parking lot. But I was able to hide behind my van while taking it. Alas...the kids were clearly visible sitting in their carseats, munching happily on their kids' meals (which is how I bribe them into taking these little photography jaunts with me). The fresh air was good for all of us. I opened the window for them...don't judge.


My mother-in-law and I love lilacs. Sadly, I had to leave mine behind in Michigan and our new house doesn't have any. I guess I'm going to have to buy a teeny-tiny one and watch it grow an inch a year until I get some lilacs. Until then, I sneak around other people's houses taking photos of theirs.


And last but not least, this was across from our new house, in the flower bed in the middle of the street. No lilacs but the crabapple tree is very pretty.

15 comments:

Adeye said...

Such stunning pics, my friend. Aaahhh, I wish spring would come to our neck of the woods :( Snow and more snow.

Hope everyone feels better really soon.

Love and hugs.

Kim K. said...

I'm sorry to hear that the germ fairy has invaded your house again. I hope YOU stay healthy. Best wishes with your closing and packing. I've been waiting to hear whether you had found a house from our previous email conversation. I don't envy your move, but I can't wait to see pics of the new place. I hope it has a lovely yard. You seem to always find luscious landscapes to live near.

Jackie said...

Sorry to hear about your sick kiddos! I haven't stalked blogs for over a month so I'm just getting back into the swing of things!

Much success with your closing and that you remain "barp" free, lol

Jackie

Angie said...

Oh, no! Praying everyone is feeling better ASAP and that you and Jeff stay healthy! Any word from Ryan lately?

Lori said...

I knew you must be super busy but golly, Karin...I had no idea! You guys really know how to PARTAY in Disney. I hope everyone recovers asap and you get your papers signed and moved and everything will be perfectly glorious in your world. :)

Love, love, love the pics!! If God gave us such magnificent flowers on this fallen earth, can you even begin to imagine what He's got waiting for us in heaven? Wooo! It's gonna be sooooo gooood! Get your camera ready!

trustandobey said...

Hi Karin,
(Thought I would try to spell your name correctly from now on.) I am soooo sorry to hear of the illness running through your family. Sometimes it seems as through the spring viruses are the worst! This morning I awoke to Olivia standing next to my bed telling me how much her throat hurt.NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Cannot wait to see your new home. Hope you can get everything done despite the troups being under the weather.

Praying for no more to succumb at your house.
Shameless and germaphobic in NC,
Lisa
(Your flower shots are lovely!!!)

sara said...

oh I am soooo sorry everyone is sick, but thankful that it didn't start AT Disney!!!

praying there is no more barping!!

Those flowers are gor.geous!!

and I am so far behind too.....that to say that the res. eggs are still sitting on my counter....sry!

Gretchen said...

Isn't it always good to be home?!

Loved our pictures of the flowers. You know how much I love gardening and watching God's beautiful Masterpiece grow in my own yard.

Don't get caught sneaking. I can read the headlines now, "Mother of ten caught sneaking around..story of the Peeping Tom Momma tonight at 11!"

Tesseraemum said...

Your poor babies! Praying that you don't get it!! Can't wait to see your new house! We are closing on our house Friday too!!! YEA! I'll be praying for you while I pack. My task pales in comparison to moving your crew! Sheri

Sharon said...

SOOOOO sorry everyone has been sick at your house. We're going through it too. I knew you had to be very busy right now just returning from vacation!

So glad you are able to get your house and the closing is so soon!!! I want to see pics! It will be so nice to get settled in your own place.

Holly said...

Praying for healing all around in your family.
I am sure that the time at Disney was worth it all!
Praying for you and Adeye as you prepare to move...you down the road and her cross-country...still a lot of stuff to pack up either way!
May the Lord multiply your time and grant you favor in every way!
Hugs,
Holly

Kimberlie said...

Sorry for all the yuckies going on in your house. I will pray! My oldest still tells the story about how when he was home only 2 months with us, he got the croup and was having a hard time breathing in the middle of the night. The nurse on the hotline said to run the hot shower and have him drink warm apple juice to bring up the yuck. Well, he had barely consumed the apple juice (at 3am) when he "barped" all over the front of my pjs! At least a lot of yucky mucous came up and he could breath easier. Then we did it all over again the next day. As much as I was prepared and hoped to get him to barf in the toilet, he still barfed all over my clothes. It was a bonding experience - one we still share today. :)

Cindy said...

So happy everyone waited to be sick until you got home from Disney! Your trip looked so fun!

Sorry for the sickies but praise on your new home. Enjoy the move, praying it goes smoothly and mommy can come up for air!

Kristin Ferguson said...

OK. I think it's time for you to adopt my philosophy which is that we hardly ever wash our hands (except before dinner), I don't carry hand sanitizer in my car or purse, and we all use public restrooms with wild abandon. :) We rarely get sick and there has been no "barping" in our house this year. Of course, now that I say that, we'll probably bring back a new strain of bacteria from Ukraine and be quarantined by the CDC! HA!

Kristin

Wife of the Pres. said...

Oh no! Sorry about the sickies. We have a family joke about "the Disney virus." Enough said.

I LOVE your photos. How in the world do you get these so close-up? I have tried with no luck. DO SHARE your secret!

I'll give you a cyber {{{HUG}}} since that will keep the germs away! ;)