Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Beach- a footnote to yesterday's post

I debated on whether to not to tell this story...

...but it just seemed too good to keep to myself.

So, despite the risk of you thinking poorly of me, I shall tell it.

Several hours into our beach frolic, Jonah came and told his mom that he needed to go potty. Since the port-a-john's were a LONG walk and stunk to high heaven, she told him to go out into the ocean to do the deed.

He gave her a strange look and then went to the waters edge and began to wriggle his swim suit down. I cracked up and alerted Kim to the sight of her four year old's naked buttocks. We were dying laughing as she ran out into the water to give him a lesson on how to discreetly carry out this task. What was even funnier is that although he did go out into the water, he was still assuming the position that boys use and it was totally obvious what he was doing.

Kim and I laughed about this for several minutes and I had the passing thought that it was something my boys had never done.

Ten minutes later...

Jake strolls up holding himself and tells me he has to go potty. I wave him off toward the water and give him permission to 'go' there.

And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but Jake also dropping trou! I rush out to the water (as fast as one can rush when cracking up) and reach him just in time to deactivate the launch sequence. I try to instruct my very confused little guy that he can go with his swimsuit ON. HUH? He looks at me in shock. Yes...you go with your suit ON. He refused to go out into the water, though, and just stood there letting it all go down his leg. Gross!

This morning, we had another interesting episode. This is a new one--despite the fact that I've had three other boys ahead of Jake and they have done some unique things with their pee-pee.

Does this look like a toilet to you? Not to me, either. But apparently, Jake thought it was a good place to relieve himself this morning. Thankfully, several of his siblings are self-proclaimed pee-pee police, and ratted him out.

Seriously...what possesses kids to do stuff like that?! I mean, what is going through their little heads when they make the decision to move forward with a plan of action that is absurd to the rest of society?

So today, I am thankful for outdoor faucets so that certain toys can be hosed down and left outside in the hot sun.