Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday Night Ice Cream Treat

In the summer, we often go get ice cream on Sunday nights instead of eating dinner.

Don't judge.

In Michigan, we had a favorite ice cream place that was only open in the summer and had wonderful treats in a dizzying array of choices.

Here? Not so much.

We have been looking since we moved here last summer and still haven't found a good spot with decent prices.

Tonight we tried a new place--hopeful and expectant.

Sadly, we won't be going back. The smallest ice cream cone was $3~! Seriously. How ridiculous is that? Despite the painful bill, we tried to enjoy our treat.
Molly gets her treat

Jillian is loving her choice of Moose Tracks

Dad puts his much lighter wallet back in his pocket

Yum!

Jordan is very serious about his


Jake...not so much!

Zoey is all smiles

Always ready with a pose

Dirty little boy hands and ice cream cones are a sweet part of summer

Still serious. Eating ever so s-l-o-w-l-y

What is wrong with this picture?

If you didn't see what was wrong with the previous photo, here is one zoomed in a little closer... Jeff and I got grossed out by the cat that kept walking across the counter. You know...the counter where our ice cream treats had been sitting only moments before. Ewwww!! Where is the Mass. health department?

Sugar cones always leak! What's up with that?

"Jordan! You have to hurry up! We are all done and want to go home!"

"I'm even putting my hands on my hips to emphasize the urgency with which I deliver my message."

"Finally!! Let's GO already."

12 comments:

Adeye said...

Looks like fun :) Ugh, that is a LOT of money for a blob of ice cream. Heck! McDonalds 69c cones work just fine arond here :)

Doesn't everyone have ice cream instead of dinner?????? Surely.

怡潔怡潔 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimberlie said...

Mmmm... ice cream for dinner. Why didn't I think of that? When I was growing up in NJ, we had favorite places in each town we lived in and the ice cream was yummy. My favorite flavor was Black Rasberry ice cream. You can't find it out here in OK. The last time I was in NJ, I was seriously tempted to pack a few gallons in dry ice and ship it home to myself.

OK, and that cat on the counter, yuck. :)

Kristin Ferguson said...

We do cereal for dinner-woo hoo!

I see your germaphobia side coming out again and feel the need for an intervention coming on. Put the hand sanitizer away, enjoy the cat hair in your ice cream and know that your kids will develop great immunities and never get cat-scratch fever--which can be quite serious I might add.

See? Now don't you feel better?

Kristin

Kim Priestap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Priestap said...

Karin,

If you're referencing the Frosty Boy by Jerry's Market, we enjoy that on a regular basis. Too bad we can't send you some.

I never thought about serving the kids ice cream for dinner before. Probably because Steve would not approve. I can hear him now. "Our kids have enough ice cream as it is."

Kim K. said...

I love the idea of ice cream for dinner! Heck, I've been known to enjoy cupcakes prior to dinner. Have a great week! We're flying out to Orlando this afternoon. Imagine the heat!!

Todd,Michelle Bloom said...

Ice cream for dinner...even my pediatrician approves. In fact, I got the idea from her!! We do it about every other Saturday, though.

Shelly

trustandobey said...

You know I am with you on the cat thing!!!Yikes! Where have those paws been???? I am also with you on the $3.00 price for a small!!! Just Yikes!!! Otherwise I applaud your efforts get enough calcium, Vitamin D and protein into your children's diets. What a great Mom you are!!!

Tori said...

My girls were standing here while I was reading this. And while the ice cream received notice from them they were much more fascinated my the amount of Silly Bandz they saw!! They just have a few and are totally jealous!!!

I noticed the cat and would have to agree that is not where I would want my treats coming from. (and I even like cats!)

Waitingfaithfully said...

Having grown up in Michigan, I can say that no matter what the economy, Michigan rocks for ice cream places--GOOD ice cream places, easy to find ice cream places, even very reasonabley priced (and sometimes cheap) ice cream places! We even found a place that puts a marshmellow in the bottom of their sugar cones, so that they don't "always leak"!

Being in the military we have lived in warm climates for the past 23 years, Okinawa, Florida, Georgia, Texas . . . and repeat. You would think warm climate states would be pros at ice cream shops, yet sadly-- They. Don't. Have. A. Clue.

What's up with that? "Oh Michigan would you please share your wealth of ice cream knowledge with these ice cream stingy states? Please? Our taste buds and wallets are depending on you"!

Love the pictures Karin, so sa-weet!

Blessings~

Tina

Waitingfaithfully said...

Oh, and about that ice cream for Sunday night dinners . . . I grew up doing that many a weekend! They don't call 'em ice cream SUNDAES for nothing!

T~