Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Snapshot - Birds of a Feather

I love bird watching. I have dreams of having beautiful, colorful birds come to feeders in my back yard while I sip coffee and watch them.

So far it hasn't happened.

But it could. Don't laugh.

I guess it has something to do with the fact that every time I slip out onto the deck with a cup of coffee, little feet and loud voices find me within 3.5 seconds and scare the birds away.

In spite of that, I have been able to watch the birds from the kitchen window and try to shoot pictures through it's somewhat spotty glass.

I have been watching a cool looking wood pecker couple this week who loves the peanut butter flavored block of gooey stuff I put out for them. The other birds seem to like it, too. However, the wood pecker family seems to know that the peanut butter stuff is theirs. Which it is. I have other stuff for the rest of the birds.

Every time another bird comes near, the wood peckers give it the stink eye. And then the bird actually leaves! It is cracking me up! The rest of the birds can't seem to withstand the pressure of the stare downs.

"Ahhh...the whole place to myself. As it SHOULD be."

"Excuse me, I don't believe you were invited."

"That's right. Fly away. And don't come back."

"Oh, I'm comin' back. And I'll be bringing some friends."


"You birds need to look my way and notice that I am giving you the stink eye. That's right...I'm glaring. Now beat it!"

"Oh yeah...you're feelin' it now. My eyes are boring holes into the back of your head."

The stare down begins in earnest.

"That's right...hang your head in shame."

"Alright, we're leaving. But we're going to drop some Doo-Doo on the top of the feeders to register our displeasure."

"Finally! They're gone! All is right with my world."

"And people say we turkey's are dumb. We've been eating under the feeder the entire morning with no one bothering us at all."