Monday, December 07, 2009

A Light has Dawned

For those who have been reading the blog since this summer, you may remember that the day we drove to Ryan's ship-out ceremony, God spoke with these beautiful sunbeams.


They were a hug from Him, straight to a Mama's aching heart.

And then Ryan didn't ship out due to an injury. The memory of the sunbeams has remained fresh in my mind and heart, however.

I shared last week about God leading me to Psalm 23 and the verse about walking in the valley of the shadow of death, and how I dreaded having to live there while Ryan was on act*ve duty. I have been praying and asking God to please show me how to live with Joy and Peace while simultaneously carrying the burden of my son going off to war. I know that only with His strength flowing through me, would I be able to handle it.

Yesterday at church, the first verse read was:
"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death, a light has dawned." Isaiah 9:2

The words bored into my head and heart in such a way that I knew God was speaking directly to me.
"Karin...a light has dawned on the land of the shadow of death. You DON'T have to live in the darkness of the shadow of death, because I, the "Light of the World," dispel all darkness. My light will shine on you and enable you to live and walk in light."

Wow...I was so moved. He is SO GOOD! I had been telling Him that I didn't want to live without peace, without joy and laughter. And He said, 'Live as children of Light." Why? Because that is who I am in Christ. I am a child of God, who says He is the Light of the World. (John 8:12) I have no reason to go out of my way to walk in darkness. It would be like pulling the blankets over my head because I am afraid of the dark--only the room isn't dark any more, because someone has turned the light on, and I didn't realize it because I had the blankets over my head.

I can walk without fear, because His light shines on me.
"He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." Psalm 112:7

"I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant..." Psalm 34: 4, 5