Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Big 5-0!


My man is 50 today. It sounds younger and younger every day! :) He says he doesn't feel old and that the kids will keep him young--which is good because they are going to be living with us until we are ready for the home.

A few of our kids have recently become obsessed with not wanting to get old. What's up with that? This morning, Molly imparted some of her 9-year old wisdom to me.

M: I don't want to get old.
Me: Why not?
M: Because I don't want to use a cane.
Me: Well, I think you are a long way from that.
M: Oh well. I am just going to enjoy being young. It's my last year before I am in double digits. Next year I will be 10 and that is O.L.D.

I smothered some giggles because she was oh-so-serious about her impending old age.

You know what? I LOVE being in my 40's. It's been so freeing in many ways. And as long as we stay healthy, I think we will love our 50's as well.

So Happy, Happy Birthday to my sweet hubby (who is out of town today--wah)! Thank you for being so sweet, kind, thoughtful, and for working so hard to take such good care of us.

13 comments:

Gretchen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Hopefully you can celebrate when he gets home.

Kimberlie said...

Happy Birthday Jeff!!! Seriously, 50 is the new 40 as they say.

As for 10 being ancient, I remember when I was 16 and in high school and I had Mr. Stewart, an ancient 24 yr old for my history teacher. Just a mere 8 years my senior and yet seemed SOOOOO OLD. I actually miss those days. :)

Have a fun celebration!

trustandobey said...

Karin,
Tell your husband that he has been"beautiful perserved" as Charlene Darling said to Andy Griffith on the Andy Griffith Show.
My husband is in his 50's too. Welcome to the club!
Lisa
ps-No, Randy took my new header shot. I had my camera out for an hour and got nothing and he takes it for a few moments and captures that photo of Kate. sigh.

Lori said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jeff!

Hilarious conversation with Molly. Good gracious, if 10 is old then I'm doomed. But I'm with you, 40s is a great and I wouldn't go back for anything. Well, maybe to just redo a few things then hop right back into 41!

Jean said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby!! The 50's are great! We are enjoying them! Hope he has a wonderful day!

Angie said...

Happy birthday! And what is it with 9 year olds? Jacob is doing the same thing...lamenting about turning 10 years old. He just told me today that he wants to be 2 again...probably so he doesn't have to do school work!

Lynsay said...

Happy Birthday Jeff! Now get your behind home for a party!

sara said...

Happy Birthday to Jeff!!

I'll be there next year! and I am with you...I have LOVED my 40s...at least until menopause set in! :)

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday Jeff and many many many more!!!

Loved the cute conversation with Molly.

Adeye said...

Happy Happy birthday to you amazing hubby. Sorry you have to be apart on his special day. No fun.

soontobemomof9 said...

Happy Birthday! My 15 year old son and I were discussing laser eye surgery and I said I should get it done before he has it done. He replied "Why, your old enough you have nothing left to live for anyway." I am only 35 for goodness sake, and while his tone was joking... I think he sees me as really old! LOL

~Cassie said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Jeff!!

Meredith said...

Happy Birthday Jeff!!!