Friday, July 31, 2009

Redneck Theme Park

Our new house has a decent sized hill in the backyard. The minute I saw it, I thought, "Perfect for sledding for the little kids. Too bad we don't have something with wheels to use in the summer."

Apparently my kids thought the same thing. The other day, I looked out the window and saw this:

...and then this....


Well, that looked like fun! I called for Taylor to come and look. He scoffed and said they were too scared to go straight down the front side. I'm not sure how it happened but he eventually challenged me to try it.

It was quite fun! I must have looked like I was having a blast, because then Taylor decided to take a turn.

I hope I didn't look like this when I was coming down the hill. hee

Not to be outdone, Ryan got in on the action. He tried it on Jillian's bike. Not a good idea. He hit a bump and seat shifted upwards, causing a crash and injury that made him crumple to the ground like this:

Being the kind, loving, supportive family we are, we laughed hysterically.

When Jeff came home from work he was rather mortified that the kids were riding down the hill, and called it the Redneck Theme Park.

Also behind our house is a small wooded area. Taylor discovered wild blueberries growing. They were a hug from God because wild blueberries bring back beloved memories of my childhood--picking them in the Northern Michigan woods with my Grandma. The kids have been out there picking daily.

These two never have anything to show for their work. Jake eats his as fast as he picks them and I have no clue what Kate does with hers.

Jillian's berries


One lone, blue hydrangea blossom I found in our yard

Playing in the packing paper


I only have a few pictures of sites around here. I haven't had a chance to take my camera out much and it has also been raining a lot. But here are two... There are a lot of these type of clocks in the small towns we drove through to get to the beach. I was driving when I took this, so please excuse the 'oh-I-just-pointed-the-camera-in-the-direction-of-the-clock-and-pressed-the-shutter.'




A church in a town nearby. There are many of these--so pretty!

Yesterday and today were MUCH better around here and there is finally some light at the end of the unpacking tunnel! Also....drum roll....Ryan got another call today saying that he does NOT have to return to Michigan after all. I guess Jeff got his point across yesterday because someone got the paperwork fixed. Ryan will leave on the 18th from HERE! Thank you, Jesus!!

Thank you for your encouraging notes and prayers. God is giving me so much peace and strength and even if many little things are going ridiculously wrong, I don't want to let that steal my joy. We are still comfortable without our 'stuff' and have soooo much to be thankful for. This morning, I read, "Do not be discouraged...I will never leave you nor forsake you." And I thought...yeah....no matter what happens, I will never have to go without God. He is always at my side. He has promised to never leave me and to always give me His strength. What more could I ask for?