Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Back to Shriners

We were back at Shriners today--but this time for Chloe. Her leg length difference has gotten to the point that she needs a lift. We had the option of a full inch lift attached to the outside of her shoe, or a half inch lift for the inside. For today, we went with the inside lift just to see how she likes it.

The really exciting news though, was that they are able to make her something that will allow her to wear two shoes that are the same size! We have always bought her two different sizes but it has been a surprising challenge. Her little foot is only three toes wide, so it's very narrow. But the hardest part was that since her foot is two sizes smaller, we would find ourselves with one foot in a bigger kid style and one in a more babyish style. It is really hard to find shoes that are exactly the same in both sizes. Who knew?!

So now Chloe gets to go shopping for a pair of shoes that are the same size while the ortho guys at Shriners make her a special add-on for her shoe! I told them that she is going to be the flower girl in Ryan's wedding this summer and they told me that if she needs a special one just for her fancy shoes, they can make one for those, too!!

I drove home feeling so very grateful for Shriners. Such an amazing place.

16 comments:

Kim K. said...

That's wonderful news. I'm so happy for Chloe.

sara said...

so cool what they can do!!! Can't wait to see what shoes Cloe picks out!

Lori said...

That's so great!!

Sharon said...

Horrah for Chloe!!! Posts like this first thing in the morning keep me smiling all day!

Jean said...

wow! That is so cool!! I bet she's excited to shop for shoes!
It is amazing what they can do!!
I'm with Sharon- I think this will make me smile all day, too!!

Theanne and Baron said...

What fantastic news for Chloe and you! I know she's so happy that both shoes can be exactly the same now. Aren't the Shriners great...blessings to them and Chloe and you!

James, Dawn and Family said...

Isn't it amazing how Shriners reacts to the social needs of the children when "insurance money" is'nt the most important thing. I love how they treat Lize and b/c of our experience we are opening what other special needs we are going to be open to.

Tesseraemum said...

Really can't wait to see chloe's wedding shoes! She's gonna rock them I'm sure!

My dad just told me recently that he was a patient at Shriners in Lexington KY when he was a kid! He's 70! He has a degenerative bone disease in his hips and I knew he walked on crutches for several years as a kid but I didn't know he went to Shriners! They didn't do surgery, just a leather strap to hold a leg up and crutches. I think from the sound of it he may have been an early research guinea pig! Pretty cool really. Sheri

Alyssa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hon's Daddy said...

We are so very thankful for Shriner's too!!! They have saved the life of one of my children and given another fingers where she had none!!!

Charissa said...

Karin,
I am so happy for Chloe - great news for her! We live in MA too and are bringing home two boys from China in the next couple of months. Would you be willing to email me so we could chat about Shriners? My email is maguire14@comcast.net. Thanks so much! - Charissa

Rosfida Abu Sufi said...

Fantastic news. From todays onwards, guess Chloe will have a field day looking for shoes.

Gretchen said...

That is such wonderful news!

Shonni said...

That would be so awesome for her!!!

Tina Michelle said...

This is good news.

Kristin Ferguson said...

Hey Karin that is wonderful news! Do they have your coffee waiting for you when you go to Shriners? I'm sure they all know you by name! What a witness to the staff you must be as you show them that all children are valuable in God's eyes. Too cool.