Monday, February 07, 2011

Still Chuggin' Along

SaraGrace continues to heal well and is getting stronger every day. She has been very tired about halfway through the day, though. I have debated about whether or not to send her to school with the PICC and have decided against it. I would hate for it to accidentally get pulled out.

{{Shudder}}

I am so grateful to be home and able to give her meds myself rather than having to stay in the hospital. She has been great about me having to turn the light on in the middle of the night to do her infusion. She just goes right back to sleep without a fuss.
Some have asked where her PICC line is. The catheter is in her arm, just below her elbow. The blue part is where I administer the meds and that is above her elbow.

In goes the saline...then the meds....then some more saline and then heparin.

It's working....thank goodness!

12 comments:

trina said...

Oh my. Bless your heart. I've been catching up on your blog. I'm sure you won't want to visit any hospitals for any surgeries anytime soon. Glad she is doing better and improving. What a trooper. :)

Lori said...

And it's a very good thing that you've got the whole medical team on staff there are home to watch...I mean, help, you. :)

Angie said...

Yeah to both of you for doing this together. How great to be able to be home and administering the meds vs. staying so long in the hospital. Looks like you're recovering great, SaraGrace! Karin, you have some strong girls there...they must get that from you!

Kristi said...

I'm glad to read that she continues to recover! Appendix surgery is no fun ~ my husband's ruptured the first year we were married.
Praying that her strength will be back soon!

Cari said...

SaraGrace does what I do...turn my head the other way when I see a needle! So glad to read that she continues to get better.

I think you're having too much fun playing nurse at home...hehe

Theanne... said...

Prayers answered for things with SaraGrace going smoothly...if you weren't before you are now "Medic Mom"...prayers for continued healing for SaraGrace and hugs all around for you and the family!

:)De said...

She looks great. so glad you are able to care for her at home.

Peace

Kimberlie said...

I am so glad you are able to be at home too! It's great that she's healing well and there have been no complications. Yeah Jesus! I will continue to keep you all in prayer. :)

Kristin Ferguson said...

So, do you get double nursing pay on Thursday since it will be a BIG HOLIDAY at your house???? Do you know your birthday is one day before Josi's? She'll be 13. How old will you be? hehehe

Shelly said...

Oh, I praise God for giving Sara Grace a mama who can handle the medical stuff...I would be flat on the floor! Sounds funny, but no kidding here! And I am so thankful you are home to sleep in your own bed. Praising God for His many answers to prayers throughout this!

trustandobey said...

What are the meds for, Karin? Is it to mend the appendix? Or for the heart condition? Or both? Moms certainly are Jacks of all trade, aren't we? So glad you are both home and in your own beds. You have to be careful at hospitals, you know? A friend of mine went into one once and came out with a baby!!! Yikes!!!

Tori said...

SO glad to hear she is doing well!
On a side note, you look very "nurse-ish"!! Great job Mama!!