Tuesday, February 01, 2011

SaraGrace - Day two


SaraGrace had a tough day. It started out well, but once we had to prepare for the insertion of the Picc line, it quickly went down hill.

Unfortunately, they didn't wait long enough for the medicine to make her loopy enough for the procedure and it ended up being quite traumatic for her. The technician tried three times--thankfully on the third try, she got it in. However, you can imagine how painful it was for SaraGrace to endure three catheter insertion attempts. ugh. They were very complimentary and said they were amazed at how well she did. She was so brave. I felt awful for her.

After it was over, the medicine kicked in and it made her really dizzy and loopy. Oh...and C.R.A.N.K.Y.

It lasted for hours and hours. She really never recovered and is still sitting here beside me all cranky and refusing to go to sleep at 9:30.

She has barely eaten and hasn't been drinking much either. Thank goodness for popsicles because she's eaten about four of those and has the orange lips and teeth to prove it.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

We got a roommate today--a sweet one month old baby boy. His mom is also very sweet so it's about as good as having a roommate can be. Room sharing in hospitals should be illegal, don'tcha think? With the astonishing amount of laws in Mass., you would think someone would have already thought of that one.
Reacting to the technician who was getting her ready for the Picc line insertion

14 comments:

Adeye said...

Aaahhhhhh....poor honey. Get well soon, sweetheart.

I feel so bad for her. No fun at all. Hang in there friend--I know it is not easy for you either.

Nancy Tupper Ling said...

I bet you can pay for a private room. HA! Hope that little guy sleeps tonight.

sara said...

oh that poor kid! praying for a good nights sleep for EVERYone and a better day tomorrow!

tinacd said...

Praying for healing for Sara Grace, sleep for all of you, and for your hubby and kiddos at home.

Kim K. said...

That just breaks my heart. I feel so bad for BOTH of you. I hope tonight brings some much needed rest and a better tomorrow.

Kristin Ferguson said...

Hopefully she's asleep by now and your night will be uneventful. A baby for a roommate? hmmm...perhaps if you paid more taxes you could vie for better accomodations? I know...once Obamacare kicks in you'll get your own room. tee hee hee

Praying right now for a GREAT night!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Oh Karin...it breaks my heart to think of you watching your little girl in pain like that. I'll be praying for you both! I hope tomorrow goes much better for you.

Updated by Lila Huggins (grandmother) said...

Bless her little heart!
Many prayers from our family headed her way!

God Bless,
Miss Lila in Atlanta &
family

Kathleen said...

Praying!!! Praying that soon you will be home and resting. She is such a sweetheart and I am sorry this has been so hard for her. Tell her that she has four kids praying for her recovery up in Vermont. We hope she will be home soon and back playing in all of this snow!!!

Blessings and His healing from above!

Theanne... said...

You did good SaraGrace (with them sticking things in your arm)...hope you're over the CRANKIES! Wow,keep chowing down on those orange popsicles, they're goooood aren't they :) I'm praying for a peaceful nights sleep for you and your Mom...just 3 more days to go and you and Mom can go home! Just thought of something, when I was 9 and had my tonsils out there were 4 adult women in my room and one of those was my Mom (who was in the hospital for surgery herself)...LOL what an experience!

Ruby Mae said...

I'm with you on private rooms....was so grateful for that for my Mom at St. Joes these past two months. They only have private rooms. We may end up paying out of pocket some for that, but it was worth it for sure. Continue to pray for ALL of you.

Jo's Corner said...

Hi Sara Grace! WOW! You are SO brave! I have many PICC lines. They are sore right after you get them in, but then they don't hurt anymore. And, it doesn't hurt at all when they take it out! Your Mommy will do a great job giving you your antibiotics. I am sorry that you are sick, but I know you'll feel better soon. Try to do something fun today! Big Hugs from Minnesota! Love ~ Jo

Cindy said...

SaraGrace you are in our prayers, sending HUGS from foggy California.
We go thru a child's surgery next month, Karin I feel for you and hope you are getting a bit of sleep in the hospital? Hope you're home soon!

Sharon said...

Oh Karin, I hope today is a better day. I know this is so hard for all of you. Hope each day is better than the last. We're praying for you all.