Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Doctor Appointments

Funny how the drive to Shriners was a lot farther than Boston Children's but I did it in about the same amount of time and it was all freeway with no traffic jams. Ahhhh...so relaxing.

The verdict for Zoey is the same as the other two doctors who examined her. Her only good choice is amputation. Even if she spent her entire childhood having surgeries (and recovering from them), doing painful leg lengthening, etc., she would still not end up with a good foot. There just isn't enough to work with because of the ankle joint and bone not being there.

Our next step is to attend an amputee clinic where we will all have the opportunity to see and talk to other kids who have had amputations. After we attend that, we can schedule the surgery.
For Chloe: she is less severe, but will still need surgery at some point. She has a choice between leg lengthening of her shorter leg, or leg shortening of her longer leg. The shortening is MUCH easier. They would go in and cause the growth plate to slow down her growth, allowing the shorter leg to catch up a bit. The downside of that is that it would make her shorter (by at least 1.5 to 2 inches). If she chooses leg lengthening, she would have to wear an apparatus on her leg for a year (it looks like a cage). She took one look at it and said, 'No way.' She doesn't need to do anything for another few years, so she has time to think it over.

So...no big surprises but I am so glad to know about the amputee clinic. It will be really nice to talk to other families who have already been through it.

We finished up our girls day out with lunch at McDon*lds. Yuk. I've been feeling gross ever since. The girls were thrilled though, because they got a Happy Me*l, which they don't normally get when we go to McD's. Ah...the small joys in life!

Jeff had a 101 fever when I left but aspirin seemed to help and he is doing pretty well tonight.

Thank you so much for praying! Sorry no pics today. I actually forgot--even though I took my pocket sized camera with me.

9 comments:

Kim K. said...

You've been on my mind all day. It sounds like there weren't any surprises at the doctors appts. I say the girls earned their happy meals today. Hugs to all of you!!

James, Dawn and Family said...

we were at shriners in chicago today. we have been so blessed by them. the care, kindness, understanding, level of commitment is overwhelming. sofi does not get that from the childrens hospital.

Lori said...

So glad the appointments went well. Sounds like you received good advice.

For sure the happy meals were well deserved! Do you get you one too? :) Or did you go for the big guns and get a Big Mac? Its deliciousness turns on you quick though that leads to deep regret. But so worth it about twice a year.

Cari said...

Good to read that all went well with the appointments and that you are comfortable with the opinions. Praying for these little ones and all that they need to go through, but knowing that God is our healer.

Kristin Ferguson said...

Glad you got some definitive results for both girls.

OK, yes, McDonald's is overall pretty gross BUT their hot fudge sundaes are just the right size and fit the bill for me EVERY TIME!!!

trustandobey said...

Hi,
Glad there were no bad surprises for the girls.
I wanted to tell you that I got your email yesterday but my computer will not send anything out. We are working on it. I will email as soon as I am able but I thought it was a good shot.
Lisa

Sharon said...

I'm so glad things went well and you have a plan of what to do next. It always relieves stress to have a plan in motion. I think Zoey will do well after her surgery. She is such a determined girl!!! We love them both.

Jean said...

Even though you may have known that would be the recommended plan of action it is still hard to see our lovely children go through this. It is hard to realize the loses they face but at the same time it is such a joy to have them home- home forever!

Thankfully in America we have such good health care and doctors to care for our dear children!

Thankfully we can rest in HIS peace knowing we are doing the right thing!!

Good Job MOM!!

Wife of the Pres. said...

I'm so sorry I've not been around to check in often lately.

I haven't faced this particular news, but I know that even when the news is not maybe what we are hoping for... it is comforting to just KNOW how to move forward.

Many hugs and prayers,
Leslie