DOORS OF ISRAEL
While we were in Israel, I became fairly obsessed with taking photos of doors. But you might know...I wasn't able to get the one door that I really wanted...the one at the garden tomb, because the tomb was so small I couldn't get back far enough to get the whole door in a photo. Drat.
I have had some questions about my trip to Israel, so I thought I would do a post about them. :)
- What was your favorite part of the trip? All of it! But seriously, I guess the two highlights that stand out for me are the boat ride on the Sea of Galilee, and the ruins of the old Temple in Jerusalem
- What surprised you the most? The smallness of Jerusalem, the close proximity of the Mount of Olives, Gethsemane, and Golgatha. And I was very surprised at the HUGENESS of the temple in the days of Jesus. It would have been able to be seen for many miles. I was also amazed by how small Israel is--even though I knew that in my head. Seeing it was different. I didn't realize how hilly and mountainous it was--or that 'the wilderness' that is talked about so often in Scripture is mountain wilderness
- Did it make the Bible come alive? YES!!! It is amazing to be able to see the places I have read about and replace what I have imagined (or seen drawn in picture books) with the real landscape.
- Would you recommend the trip? YES!! I am going to do a little commercial here. I have always thought a trip like that would cost $5,000-8,000 per person. Not! It was $1,500 per person for 8 days. All hotels, transportation, guide, entrance fees to sites, and two buffet style meals per day were included. We went with Pilgrim Tours. The flights to Israel are separate, but you could save frequent flier miles for that. Our trip was definitely enhanced by our guide being a Messianic Jew because he was able to tie Old Testament and New Testament together for us. There are so many details we miss as non-Jews. There are many customs and holidays that we are unfamiliar with and miss the significance of some of the things Jesus said and did to reveal Himself to the Jewish people. If you decide to go, I will give you our guide's name so you can request him!
- Did you feel safe? YES! I never felt unsafe.
- Would you like to go again? I would LOVE to go again. :)
Thank you, Mom and Dad for taking me. It was one of the highlights of my life! I love you.