Monday, March 08, 2010

Countdown...


more days until we leave for South Carolina to see Ryan!!!

He is in the final stage of his training right now...a week-long field op called Victory Forge. I had no idea what Victory Forge was until another s*ldier's family member posted this on F*cebook.

"Victory Forge ends at night, and the soldiers gather around a forge. Flames spew from the top as the battalion commander puts the soldiers' experiences into perspective. He holds up a rod of iron and likens it to them when they arrived at Fort Jackson -- metal with a lot of potential but unshaped. But then, he says, they went through the fires of Victory Forge. And as he speaks, he reaches into the forge and pulls out a sword. Then the drill sergeants go down the line and congratulate the soldiers. "When the drill sergeants walk down the line and tell [the soldiers] they've 'done good,' many of them break down," Van Alstyne said. "They are being told this by someone they really respect. It means a lot to them."

I am excited for Ryan and the others to get to this point and finally be told, "Well, done!" There are many spiritual parallels here, but at the moment, I am two days behind and need to get off the computer. I just cannot WAIT to see Ryan and hug his neck!!

10 comments:

Jean said...

So excited for you to see Ryan! It will feel so good to give him a huge Momma hug!!

Countin down the days with ya and thankful the time is near!

Kristin Ferguson said...

"As iron sharpens iron." Wow, you're right..lots of spiritual parallels here. Glad you're finally in the countdown phase for seeing Ryan instead of the initial sending off phase. "Hug his neck"? Are you originally from the South because that is definitely NOT a New England/Northern saying my dear.

Bless Your Heart!
Kristin

trustandobey said...

Woohoo!!! I feel as though I am seeing Ryan in 8 days!!! Celebrating alongside you, Karin!!!
Lisa

Lori said...

Oh my gosh, that makes me all teary-eyed!

I can't wait for you to see your wonderful young man!!

Adeye said...

Sooooooo excited for you, my friend.

I'm sure it will be nice and warm down South too. Just an added little bonus :)

Waitingfaithfully said...

Counting down with you Karin---I am sooooo very excited for you to see your boy and hug his neck!!

Praying for health in your household in this final week of waiting . . .

Blessings ~

Tina

Lyn said...

Welcome to the south in 8 days!! How close from Atlanta!? So excited for you. My son has been out of town for three days and I have been teary eyes since before he left!! I know you are excited.
Love,
Lyn

sara said...

oh I am so excited for you!!! praying for good health for everyone!!

Sharon said...

I'm so happy for you and Ryan that the day is almost here where he'll be able to leave boot camp! Hope you enjoy the warmer weather while you're there.

Karin said...

Lyn, we will be in Columbia SC. Not sure how far that is to Atlanta. :) Hopefully close enough to be warm!!