Tuesday, October 08, 2013

In Zambales

We are in Zambales.  The Internet is intermittant--like every other minute it comes and goes. 

The trip was uneventful except for 1.5 hours of carsick misery.  After Jerry gave me some of his Dramamine, it cleared up. 

The compound is actually a school for about 70 kids--most of them Aeta.  The Aeta's were the first inhabitants of the Philippines and descendents of the Aborigines in Australia.  They live in the mountains nearby and this school is to help the children get an education and have a better life.  We had no idea that there would be 70 kids here!  They are so cute!!  They were standing in rows waiting for us and waved and sang as we drove up.  They saw me get my camera out and the outgoing ones started mugging for it immediately.  Adorable!

Could they be any cuter? 
I think not.
Those two little guys crouched down in front?
Yeah...
They were the ones mugging for the camera.
 So stinkin' cute!
Let's all squeeze in and push and shove each other out of the way.  haha
Then they all wanted to see their picture on the back of my camera--and were quite amazed and self-conscious.

I tried three times to get a shot of this little girl but Mr. PhotoBomber there on the left continually inserted himself into every frame.  Finally I gave up and settled for this shot.
"Ahhh, yes.  I am Mrs. PhotoBomber but that is because you were ignoring me and I really wanted to have my picture taken."
 These kids were quite delighted to see themselves on the back of my mom's camera.

You will not be seeing any pictures of me because my hair has reacted MOST unfavorably to the humidity and lack of decent air flow from my hairdryer.
Yeah.
Forget it.  I'm not showing you.

Right now, I am hitting the jet-lag wall of tiredness and incoherancy, so I will sign off and hopefully tell you a bit more tomorrow. 
The pastor's wives are coming in the morning so we have a full day.  I am taking portraits and supposedly giving a talk that I haven't even prepared for yet--because I thought my talk was at the end of the conference.
Ack!

Here is our room--on the third floor of the girls dorm.  Thankfully, we have a window A/C and unfortunately, seem to also have the ever-present barking dog as musical accompaniment.
I'm going to hit 'publish' while I still have Internet--so sorry if this is an abrupt ending.