Monday, April 29, 2013

Jordan's Stage-Two Ear Construction

Jordan had his second-stage ear construction last week.  All went well and now he has an earlobe!  Yay!

 All ready to go!  He was excited about getting his ear looking better.  He was still smiling when he went under anesthesia.  So cute.  They let me go back with him and hold his hand as he fell asleep.

Blurry iPhone pic but he looks so cute lying there that I had to post it.

We knew it would be an out-patient surgery but wow...they booted him out very quickly after he woke up.  This made me a bit nervous because he reacted to the anesthesia last time by throwing up all night long.  Thankfully, this time he slept all the way home and didn't have any nausea.  He also didn't need any pain meds at all.  Not even tylen*l.  The only time we saw any tears were when he realized he had the awful bandage helmet on again.  And the tears were not much more than a lip quiver.

Today, we headed back to Boston for the big reveal.  The doctor had told him that he wouldn't have to wear the bandage helmet after today.  Jordan was very eager to get rid of it.

Sadly, the doctor changed his mind and wanted Jordan to wear it for another week.  MAJOR BUMMER.

Yay!  Earlobe!
However....I am a little concerned about the redness.  He had a reaction last time and we never figured out what caused it.  I'll be keeping an eye on that.
And we're not really digging the lovely shaving job they did.  haha

The nurse tried to get that white cotton off his ear and as she tugged on it a bit, things got interesting.  Jordan suddenly went white as a sheet and started to close his eyes.  I asked him if he was okay and he nodded and said he was tired.
I thought that was odd.
He could barely open his eyes.  He was totally silent, didn't appear to be in pain, but he was so white.
I kept watching him and trying to listen to the doctor, who was talking to me.
Finally, I walked over to him and asked if he was okay.
He said the same thing...yes, but he was tired.
Hmmmm....  Something was definitely not right.
He got whiter and I told the nurse I thought something was wrong with him.
She took one look at his white face and said he needed to lie down with his feet elevated.
He was about to pass out.
Bless his little heart.

Lying down with a cold pack under his neck and a cold towel on his head.  He was pretty out of it but he never completely blacked out.

We kept talking to him but he mostly laid there with his eyes closed.  He would occasionally respond though.

Once he started to come out of it, the nurse set him slightly up and then waited about 10 minutes to set him fully upright.  Then she had him sit upright for another 10 minutes to make sure he wasn't going to have another episode.   In all, it was about a half hour adventure.

And now I have learned one more nursing thing on my way to my honorary nursing degree.  hee.

He eventually was well enough to get upright and then we stopped by the cafeteria so that he could get a snack. more week with the bandage helmet and then hopefully no more of that until his third and final surgery.


Sharon said...

What a little trooper! Every procedure makes such a difference. We'll be praying that everything heals normally with no setbacks! :)

Musings from Kim K. said...

Continued prayers and blessings for a speedy recovery for Jordan. Seriously brave.

Anne Devlin said...

His ear looks amazing! Prayers for continued healing and no complications. What a little trooper!

sara said...

so glad it went well. He is so brave! praying for his recovery and that this is the last time for the helmet!

Cindy said...

Jordan's such a sweetheart!
Praying for a beautiful healing process, he's so brave!

acceptance with joy said...

this is an utter miracle. So amazing. what a gift.

Kobe Kintanar said...

Hope he'll be okay. :]