Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How We Spent Thanksgiving

It started here.

While the turkey was in the oven, we got out the tree and decorations.

J-Man tests out the lights. Yay...they work!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

My favorite cooks working on dinner.

"Hey, Dakey! Do you like pie?"
"Yes! I can't wait to eat some."



Rub-a-dub-dub...bring on the grub.

I asked Jeff to take this picture to prove I was there.

These two both have birthday's this week!

My two big girls. I heart them!

Jakie's lovely table manners.

Then on Saturday, we decided to go to Plymouth--our favorite place--because you know...the Mayflower is there and there is that whole 'this-is-where-the-first-Thanksgiving-happened' and all

The temperature was a factor, too.
If I believed in global warming, I would be saying, "WOOT! I'm loving it."
But I don't believe in it, so I'll just say, "Hooray for temperatures in the 60's on Thanksgiving weekend!"

Am I the only one whose heart goes pitter-patter when I see street names like 'Samoset' and 'Carver?'
I mean...really....how cool is that?

My pumpkins on the beach. Jake wanted to know if he should wear his bathing suit. He was so confused.
There WERE some tourists dipping their bare feet in the frigid water.
Amateurs.

Beach combing for shells and beach glass.

Leaving the beach (sob).

Down to the harbor. I never get tired of this amazing view. I could sit and look at it for hours, listening to the sounds of the boats, the water, the birds. A little slice of heaven.
But of course, I never get to sit and look at it for hours.
So I take pictures.
Every time.
Of the same thing.
It's a sickness.

The Mayflower II.
My kids are unimpressed that it's not the ORIGINAL Mayflower.
Sheesh.
And let me tell you, if I had to have endured the voyage on this tiny vessel with 80+ people, I would have been certifiable by the time she landed. Just sayin'...
The kids think it's really cool that people uh....went potty in a bucket and tossed it over the side.
I'm thinking that isn't the only thing that got tossed over the side.
My cookies could go just thinking about it.
If you haven't read the stories about the voyage, you should. The hold of the ship was uh...where all the sick people were. Sea sick. Dysentary. ETC.
Yikes.
It really makes you appreciate the horrible suffering that people went through to get here.
Let's not forget.


Bye, bye Plymouth Harbor. Hope to see you again soon!

9 comments:

rsctt603 said...

Great pictutres, thanks. i remember my trips to Plymouth. My grandparents lived in Marshfield.

www.wayfarersquest-rsctt.blogspot.com

Angie said...

Seriously, I can't think of a more perfect way to spend Thanksgiving!

Waitingfaithfully said...

Oh Karin, I sooo want to do that some day . . . maybe once we are moved back north (in 15 months or so, but whose counting)!

What a perfect Thanksgiving! Don't ever stop taking the pictures, because I love them!! Your crew looks great too! :)

Blessings~

Tina

Kim K. said...

Your Thanksgiving pictures are wonderful. Such a lovely way to spend Thanksgiving.

Sue Mom of Two said...

We visited Plymouth last year when we were in the Boston area. I, too, was amazed to see how SMALL the Mayflower was. That replica is the exact size of the original, and actually was sailed to Plymouth from England when it was first built. Amazing to think there were 100+ people on board on the original voyage. It would have been crowded with 30 people. And the few bunks were so short!
A wonderful place to go on Thanksgiving weekend!

Mandy said...

How awesome is that! A Thanksgiving visit to the real deal! We settled for listening to Focus on the Family Radio Theater's version of Squanto since we were visiting family in sunny Florida!

Sharon said...

Wow!!! What an awesome Thanksgiving you had! Thanks for sharing. Love the pics!!!

Theanne and Baron said...

A lovely Thanksgiving for you and your family Karin...I love the photo with you in it! Brilliant! There's a beach near where I live where there are shells, I've got to get over there this winter and see what I can find...love shells!

Cari said...

I love your pictures of the "same thing" because I can't be there at all to take in that gorgeous view in person so I live vicariously through your photos. :) Loved your Thanksgiving pics. Sounds like you guys made some great memories.