Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Whispering Pines


A wonderful God-story has been taking place over the past week, and I have my husband's sister's permission to share it with you.

Last July, her husband was diagnosed with leukemia. We are praying for healing, but right now, he is very sick. The doctor said that he needed to take a vacation to get some rest.

Before they even knew he was sick, my sister-in-law (SIL) had been praying for a cabin to go to for their anniversary. Problem was....she couldn't find one...nor did they have the money for a vacation even if she DID find one. Then came the cancer diagnosis.

When they were told that a vacation was needed, they wondered and prayed about how it would be possible.

This was weighing on me because I knew they needed a vacation. But my brother-in-law (BIL) was so sick, how could they go anywhere?

I had no idea that my SIL was praying for a cabin to go to. Last Saturday evening, the thought came very strongly to me to ask my parents if my SIL and BIL could use their cabin. It's actually not a cabin--it's a beautiful log home in northern MI that God provided for my mom and dad a few years back.

I mentioned it to Jeff that night and both of us wondered if our BIL could even make the trip. The following day (Sunday), despite being busy doing other things, the thought of them going to the cabin, continued to be impressed on my heart. So finally, Monday morning, I emailed my SIL to see if they would even be interested. I wasn't sure that she would want to go--it's a 10 hour drive and like I said, my BIL is very sick. She wrote back so excited and and said yes! I quickly wrote to my parents, whom I knew would be more than happy to let SIL and BIL use their log home.

Then I got thinking...my SIL had mentioned that she had gone for a walk asking God for a cabin. What day was that?! I wondered if it was when God was putting the idea in my head to offer the cabin to them.

This was my SIL's response:

It was Sunday that I went for a walk. I can't say I asked for a vacation as much as I gave the hope, the desire for one back to Him. I was walking and saw this spot called Whispering Pines. There was this bench sitting among these huge pine trees.....I went and sat and as I looked up at those big trees it was like God was saying I'M SO MUCH BIGGER than all your fears, desires,hopes......My fear of L. not getting better, of dying, or not dying, but living feeling awful all the time.....My fears of the future.. of the uncertainy, the bills, the constant decisions..... My wanting to get away with him on a vacation, to a place to rest and relax, wanting a nice place, in the woods, (with an indoor toilet!), something nice! My searching for months but really knowing we have no money to do it.....FINALLY, OK, Lord, you know what is best for us. I don't have the means to get a place, but You do. You made all this (creation). You own it all. I feel like I'm losing it but, You know if we need a vacation or not. You hold us in your hands. You are the potter, we are the clay, make us and mold us after YOUR WILL. You love us! I trust you! PEACE!! On Monday morning when I opened your email I just couldn't believe it! And then when your Dad emailed that it was OK with them, I just sat here and cried. Then when he sent the pictures and I could not only see the beautiful inside, but the trees outside.....Wow, God had a plan so much bigger than mine and so much better! Exceedingly and abundantly.........

So God was answering my SIL's prayer BEFORE she even asked. And after she asked, He continued to put the thought at the forefront of my overcrowded brain so that I would follow through and make the arrangements.

"Before they call, I will answer, and while they are still speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24

But it got a little better because God loves to do this kind of stuff.... A few days later, there was an envelope in their mailbox with a fun little gift of gas money from my dad (who is one of the most generous people I know). When my SIL looked at the return address with my parents' names on it, she was shocked to see their street name...

"Whispering Pine."