Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Messes, and those who never make them


JAKE TRIES TO PRETEND IT WASN'T HIM WHO EMPTIED THE KLEENEX BOX ON THE FLOOR


Messes...we have a lot of them here. If you have kids, there will be messes. It's interesting, though, because according to our kids, the messes were never made by them. Another thing I've noticed is that when Mom or Dad say, "Who did this?" the guilty party never answers. However, we always here a chorus of, "It wasn't me!" As if we need to know THAT! I continually chide myself for even uttering the words, "Who did this?" but I can't seem to stop myself. It's like some involuntary response to seeing a mess. Jeff often says to me, "Why do you even bother asking?" Sigh...I don't know!

The other day, I overheard him talking to the kids. There was frustration in his voice as he tried to discern WHO had left the lastest yucky mess on the table. Of course no one fessed up. I cracked up as I heard him say, 'Someday there will be an over-the-counter DNA test so that parents will know who left half a bowl of cereal on the table, who left the sucker stuck to the couch, the gum stuck to the carpet, the booger wiped on the wall and who never flushes the toilet."

Over the weekend, I started the fun job of putting away some of the winter clothing and getting out the summer clothes. I had stacked piles of clothing by child, but then got interrupted and had to leave. I wasn't able to get back to it right away, but SaraGrace kept appearing in various outfits. The next time I saw this room, it looked like THIS:





IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE A MOTHER CRY