Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Chipmunks


The Chipmunks...ah yes, they make us reminisce fondly of our childhoods. For about five minutes.

I like them briefly around Christmas time. Our family has a tradition of getting egg nog (in sippy cups) and driving around looking at lights while listening to the Chipmunks sing their cute little hearts out. But after awhile, they really start to get on my nerves.

Not long ago, Jeff took some of the kids to see the Chipmunk movie. They came home laughing and repeating the lines. A few days ago, it came out on DVD and my sweet husband brought it home for the kids as a special treat. It WAS a treat--the movie is very funny.

Here is where the diabolical plot against unsuspecting parents begins. WalMart carried two options. One, the movie only for $19.98. OR... Two, the movie AND a CD of 'some' of the movie songs for $19.98. Now, certainly, any bright parent will choose the obvious better option--#2. What a great bonus to have a CD for the children to listen to...and it's FREE! I mean, really, who could resist such a great deal?

You've heard the overused phrase that nothing is ever free, and that proved true in this case. It's not free due to the need to return to WalMart to spend $49 for Tylenol or Bufferin to cure the headache you will get from hearing adults-singing-in-warp-speed-so-they-will-sound-like-chipmunks. Just this morning, my kids put the CD on. Of course, none of the favorite songs from the movie are on this particular CD--in fact no one can remember EVER hearing any of these particular songs. I guess they didn't stay to watch the credits. Anyway...while the CD is playing and beginning to become very annoying, I suddenly realize that NO ONE is listening to it except me. The kids have long tired of it and vacated the area, but I--poor sap that I am--am still in the vicinity, being tortured by Chipmunks singing rap. (I really think they should stick to Christmas music, since we Americans seem to have an extraordinary ability to tolerate it for long periods of time, regardless of who is singing it.)

So my great parenting pearl of wisdom for today is....skip the CD. The movie ALL BY ITSELF is a better deal. Resist the urge to get the FREE CD of music that no one ever heard of (I'm thinking it didn't make the cut--for very obvious reasons.) Heed my advice....You'll thank me for it.