Monday, October 04, 2010

Family Photo Attempt

This weekend was sunny and beautiful so I decided to break the bad news to everyone that it was time to try a family photo.

There was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Sigh.... Even the girls were griping.

I chose outfits for everyone, and while they happily complied complained and acted like I was killing them, I went outside and set up the tripod. The kids started straggling out to help get the camera set up in the correct spot.

The first group of unenthusiastic posers makes an appearance.

The excitement is building. Can you feel it?

Okay--can mom set the timer for 10 seconds, run, and get seated in time to smile pretty for the camera?

First try. This one would have worked had we not had some eye closers.

Not tooooo bad, but the blank spot between my head and Chloe's is very bothersome.

Last try...this one looked okay on my 2 inch camera screen but after loading, I noticed that a gust of wind had blown through the hair of some of us. Let's just say, there are no super models anywhere who are fearing for their jobs. However...NOTICE...the DOG looks great in this shot! Although for serious dog-dom beauty, she should have had some wind blowing her ears up a little.

I'm sure my family will not be happy to hear that the photos did not turn out to my satisfaction. The tall teen didn't arrive on the scene until the last minute and I didn't notice that his head is at the top of the frame. That means when the lab prints the photo, half of his head will get lopped off. Gah! If you're wondering why I didn't just move the tripod back, please let me explain. It was placed on a very steep hill in our yard and it took QUITE awhile to get all three legs set up correctly. If I started fiddling around with it during the shoot, the wailing and fussing would have increased to an intolerable level. And I couldn't move my family farther away from the camera because they would have fallen off a cliff.

And yes, I did Photoshop the "Fallen" logo off Taylor's shirt in some of the photos.

As bad as these are, they really aren't as bad as the professional ones we paid for last year. At least the kids were looking at the camera even though no one was standing behind it!

19 comments:

Angie said...

No way did you get your whole family to look at the camera like that! The photos look great. We're going to try taking school photos ourselves this year. Now for a sunny, and not so cold day...

Kimberlie said...

Oh I love that last one but I know what you mean about the head of "the teenager" as you call him (big smile), it will definitely get lopped in an inconvenient place. Honestly, I think the fact that you got nine of you plus a dog to look really good in one shot is nothing short of amazing. I can't even get the 5 of us to do that.

You have such a beautiful family!!

sara said...

ok you are waaaay to picky!!! that last one is really good!!! but I do understand about Taylor getting his head lopped off...might be funny though! :)

Kim K. said...

I'm super impressed. Seriously, that's a lot of people to have looking at the camera...including a furry family member. I had a hard time getting the girls to look "normal" during our pumpkin patch shoot on Saturday and it was only 2 kiddos.

Lori said...

Ok, listen...those photos are amazing!! And how is it that YOU look positively stunning in each and every one? Funny how the photographer is the only one who knows how to consistently strike a good pose. :)

The last time I gathered my crew to take a family pic I sternly announced that we would continue to take pics until we had a good one...so they'd better cooperate. To which Brenden said, "you guys...I've learned by experience that she means it, so let's hurry up and do this!"

Anyway, you could always try again next weekend. Heehee.

Have fun with that. :)

Oh, and your hair looks fantastic, btw.

trustandobey said...

You know...we can put a man on the moon, but getting 11 people and 1 dog together in one good shot is a REAL feat!!! I think they look very good. You really did a great job on spacing! Maybe I will plan on taking a few when I come up? That should endear me to your children:)
Lisa

Tesseraemum said...

Seriously! I only have 3 kids a husband and a dog and I would NOT have been able to pull that off! I'm with our sisters here... You are WAY too Picky!!
Since you have so much free time you realy should be a professional photographer! Sheri

Shelly said...

So much better than any professional photos we have taken! And there are only 4 of us...hmm..maybe we just need to add more to get good photos?(smile, smile)And...that last photo was great!

Sharon said...

Love the pictures! Especially the third one. Don't you know that all the models want that wind blown look. :) Too bad Taylor's head is so close to the top. I think just getting everyone to look at the camara and smile is accomplishing alot! :) Beautiful family!

Cindy said...

Beautiful family, how blessed you all are! And I think you are a wonderful photographer!
(we are still in tees, shorts and flip flops here, your fall looks stunning!)

Tori said...

I think they look pretty darn good. The dog was the first thing I noticed, because there is no way mine would EVER sit still for a picture!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful pictures - beautiful family :)

Gretchen said...

I love the pictures! I LOVE that the dog is looking at the camera!! Too cute! I guess I will be trying next week when we are up in the mountains on vacation. Wish me luck.

Kristin Ferguson said...

I think you did an amazing job with that any people! I like the one with the gap because then you can put Ryan's head in there somehow. :)

Adeye said...

Oh my word!!!! How in the world did you even manage them ALL to look at the camera???? I think the last one is great. And when all else fails,friend....photoshop! I know the teenager will agree :)

Valerie and Jeff said...

I'm not sure how I blog hopped over to you today ... I think it had something to do with some pillow blankets or something ... but instead I found your re- post on "Why I'm Not the Person For This Job." I gotta say, wow. I am so there ... but on the other side of adoption, with a husband who doesn't believe God is calling our family in that way ... because of so many of those reasons you listed. I'm not organized, the kids are not perfect, we yell at times, but love a whole lot more. Thank you for this perspective and the Bible reference to meditate on and pray through. Maybe I'm the one God had you repost it for ... maybe not ... but I did appreciate it so very deeply!

Valerie and Jeff said...

Ahhh, I arrived here today through arewethereyet's blogspot ... she just hosted a fabulous fundraiser through her jewelry store for me (I am helping a friend fundraise for their China adoption) ... I thought I saw something on pillow blankets but instead I found your re- post on "Why I'm Not the

P.S. In the photo of the little ones in the cribs, the little one peeking out just under the crib slat at the top--oh my goodness ... those convicting eyes.
And as for your family photo ... I have problems with 3 kids ... you did a magnificent job!

Jamie said...

LOL- The last one looks PERFECT, but yes his head is going to get cut off. This reminds me of the yearly Christmas pic we do, and we only have 2 adults, a toddler, and a dog to corral :)

L Herb Foll said...

I really love reading this post. I can feel the warmth and love from your words. You have a very happy and beautiful family :).