Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Our Citizenship


I was just talking to some friends the other night about what a privilege it is to be a citizen of the United States of America. Since we have adopted our children from China and Guatemala, I get emotional thinking about our flights from their birth countries to the U.S.


As I think about that, I cannot help seeing a parallel for those of us who are Christians, since God said that our citizenship is in heaven.

On the flights home, our kids were completely oblivious to what they were about to receive. Each time, I have held them on my lap, handed them a flag and whispered excitedly that they were about to become citizens of the great land of America. They waved and chewed on the flag, smiling without any comprehension.
The flag had no meaning to them because they could not understand it's significance. As we walked onto U.S. soil and their Immigration paperwork was stamped, I said in their ears, "Welcome to America, little one!" They had no idea what they were being given. They had done nothing to receive it. It was something that they could not comprehend or appreciate--and will only do so little by little, as they grow.

Just as our children do not understand what citizenship means, I think that I, too, am often completely unable to appreciate what God has promised will be mine someday. I will have a place in heaven with Him, as His CHILD. I cannot begin to comprehend what that truly means. I have no idea what heaven will really be like, nor do I really understand what it means to be a daughter of the King. I have done nothing to receive this amazing gift. I can hear those words, but I think my ability to comprehend them, is very similar to our kids understanding what it means to be a citizen of the United States.