Friday, July 19, 2013

Yummy Dinner idea

If you are a mom, you probably struggle from time to time with ideas for dinner.
If you're like me, when you find one, you make it over and over until your family begins to hate it.
Ha.

So....anyway....

This is a crock pot recipe that I thought would come in handy for those of us wilting in the current heat wave.

It's adapted from "The Slow Cooker Bible."  I forgot to take a picture of it last night and there were no leftovers, so just imagine yourself sitting in a Chinese restaurant, looking down at a steaming plate of cashew chicken.

I double this recipe and it feeds 10 of us.

Cashew Chicken

1/2 bag of chicken breasts  (I buy them in the freezer section at Target.  You can also use the bag of rib meat pieces, which I discovered yesterday has more meat in it.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of celery
1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
1 can of water chestnuts
green onion to taste (or you can skip and it will still taste yummy)
1 cup cashews

The original recipe says to cut up the chicken and fry it.  If you ask me, the whole point of cooking anything in the crock pot is being able to throw everything in and forget about it all day.  So if you want to bother frying your chicken, go for it.  I dump mine into the pot still frozen and dump everything else in on top of it, EXCEPT the cashews.  Cook on high for 4 hours if your chicken is frozen--low for probably 3-4 if thawed.  Stir in the cashews just before serving.  Serve over rice.

It's soooooo good.  And easy.

You will love it.

You're welcome.