Thursday, July 04, 2013

Independence Day Interesting Facts

On the 28th of June in 1826, Thomas Jefferson lay dying.  Although his doctor predicted that he would not live through the night, Jefferson prayed that God would allow him to live long enough to celebrate the Jubilee of the Declaration of Independence. 

He miraculously lived until the fourth of July.  His last words were,
"I have done for my country, and all mankind all that I could do, and now I resign my soul, without fear, to my God, to my daughter, to my country."  And then he twice uttered, "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace."

Thomas Jefferson left this world at the very HOUR (12:50 PM) that the Declaration of Independence had received its final reading that 4th of July.  Many Americans marveled as they saw the hand of God so clearly evidenced, leading one historian of that day to declare it "A Divine Conspiracy of Circumstances.'

Only five hours later, John Adams, another statesman who championed the Declaration of Independence, also died.  His last words were, "Independence Forever," and "Jefferson survives."